PDA

View Full Version : 7100T and Cingular service! help :)

turkeypig
06-08-2005, 05:00 PM
OK...so I have searched and cannot figure this out on my own. I am new to the blackberry thing and maybe should have gone with a treo because of the price of blackberry service. :(

Here is my problem. I want to be able to access my email account on my blackberry, but do not want to pay $39.99 a month for it when cingular offers data connect for $19.99 a month! Is there a way to use the blackberry to check email without using the blackberry service? By just using the same means as a treo or other pda phone???

Any help would be GREAT!!! :)

turkeypig
06-08-2005, 10:47 PM
ANYONE??? Is it possble to use a data plan with a Blackberry?

spdrcr5
06-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Blackberry = Data plan... without a data plan you can't get your email.

It makes no difference what hardware you purchase if you want to use a BlackBerry device then you have to pay for the data plan service. A Treo uses a data plan aka BlackBerry...

NJBlackBerry
06-09-2005, 05:53 AM
If you want to check your e-mail, or browse the Internet, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan. There are no alternatives. And you are not getting push e-mail with the Treo.

netPOSER
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
If you want to check your e-mail, or browse the Internet, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan. There are no alternatives. And you are not getting push e-mail with the Treo.

I just switched from a Cingular Treo 650 with unlimited data to a 7100g.

All I did was take the SIM card out of the Treo and place it into the 7100g. The phone worked with no problem but the data did not.

I called Cingular and they needed my SIM card info and the IMEI number. According to Cingular, data is data regardless of the device. I did not have to change my plan at all.

I see Cingular has PDA Plans HERE (http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PROD_RATE.jsp?curTabName=Data%20Plans&curCategoryName=PRP_PDACONNECT%20PLAN&storeId=14551&catalogId=14551&langId=-1&storeAlias=dcsbmi&svcAreaId=WLN&isFamilyTalkFlow=false&subOrderId=1)

But they also have BB Plans Here (http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PROD_RATE.jsp?curTabName=Data%20Plans&curCategoryName=PRP_XPRESSMAIL%20PLAN&storeId=14551&catalogId=14551&langId=-1&storeAlias=dcsbmi&svcAreaId=WLN&isFamilyTalkFlow=false&subOrderId=1)

I'd call and see if you can get a cheaper PDA plan for your BB

blkberryboy
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I'd call and see if you can get a cheaper PDA plan for your BB

But to the point that NJBlackberry made, I believe with the reguler PDA data plan you wont have access to the Cingular/ATT BlackBerry servers, thus no "true" push e-mail. Double checking on that but I believe thats the difference in price.

turkeypig
06-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Well...I don't really care about the push email at this point. IT would be nice, but the price is way too much for me to do...I am just curious as it if it is possible to use a regualr data plan and set it up to check your email with a BB and if anyone knows how to set it up. :)

So my question is basicly this:

can you use the cheap DATA PLAN from Cingular with a BB without the BB plan?

(I know the push email is gone, just wondering if it is possible)

turkeypig
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
so netPOSER you just have a basic data plan and you are able to check your email and get it to work on your 7100?