PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Application - no notification sounds?

Aquabob
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I've been everywhere on this forum, and didn't see another thread with an answer to this issue, so bear with me.

On the 8300, I've got BIS running and picking up my gmail (two different gmail accounts, two different folders, two different notification sounds, etc.) It works perfectly... with the exception that there are gmail things you can't do on the BIS side.

I loaded the Gmail stand alone application. Very nice, receives email quickly, 'syncs' faster than BIS, allows you to put in labels, archive, etc., etc. However, I have been unable to find anywhere on my system where I can put a notification sound for when a new email arrives.

Does anyone know if you can have a notification sound when email arrives using the Gmail stand alone application?

If not, I offer this solution: create a Google account using BIS, set a distinct notification sound for that email account, and then hide the folder. Leave the Gmail app on your home page. When the notification for the BIS folder goes off, you'll know you've got mail. The only downside to this is that the BIS server will deliver the mail to your BB several minutes before the Gmail application polls your account, so once you hear the noise, you need to refresh Gmail.

Any other solutions out there?

wirelessforever
10-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if you can have a notification sound when email arrives using the Gmail stand alone application?

You cannot.

kellydcarter
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
What user wirelessforever said may have been true in an older version, but after I installed the Gmail "standalone" application (maybe April 2008), "Gmail - New Message" shows up in my notification profile settings for "Phone" that allows me to configure sounds/vibration/LED flashing for Gmail.

takeshi
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
However, I have been unable to find anywhere on my system where I can put a notification sound for when a new email arrives.
If there is one it would be under Profiles -- where all alerts are managed.