PDA

View Full Version : verizon 8830 question?

rayge
10-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I've had verizon for about 2 years now. I was thinking about purchasing the 8830. The plans seem kind of expensive. I was wondering if verizon ever gives special deals on monthly plans. And for some of those who have te phone are you happy with it or should I wait for something else.

kevin byrne
10-11-2007, 05:33 AM
There are new BlackBerry plans coming out for Verizon Wireless on November 1st. Wait till then. ;-)

dwp1975
10-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.9080/1716; en; U; ssr))

Verizon is also releasing the pearl, so if you want a blackberry with a camera and may not mind a suretype device, I would recommend you wait as well

zerog46
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Also there are Government discounts.

rayge
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
thanks alot guys. New plans on Nov. 1 Ill just wait it out. I've never had a blackberry cant wait. The pearl looks cool but I like aving a full keyboard, well I'm just used to it know.

jsconyers
10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forums. The 8830 is a great device. The keys are small and close together but if you can deal with that, you will love the device. You've come to the right place for help/info!

If you decide to get a Blackberry, check Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com) (y)

thunder33cat
10-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forums. The 8830 is a great device. The keys are small and close together but if you can deal with that, you will love the device. You've come to the right place for help/info!

I concur. I love my 8830 on Verizon - fast, productive and stable.

rjansen3
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
has the 8830 on VZW and she loves it. I have the 8830 on Sprint and I love mine. I had the 7100i on Nextel, which is a suretype device, and I feel like I typed faster on it. Either way, I have decided that after having a berry, I will never go back to anything else. :bb:

BetterOffDad
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I have the 8830 on Verizon and I now hate Verizon. A lot of my bluetooth capabilities are blocked, the GPS is blocked... no MMS, so I have to use the browser to see pictures.

The phone rocks...I wish I could use it as it was intended.

Grovesfan
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
There are new BlackBerry plans coming out for Verizon Wireless on November 1st. Wait till then. ;-)

Where are you getting this information from and can you be specific about what is new about the plans?

Beth

Robm15
10-12-2007, 07:29 AM
I have the 8830 on Verizon and I now hate Verizon. A lot of my bluetooth capabilities are blocked, the GPS is blocked... no MMS, so I have to use the browser to see pictures.

I am also frustrated at the lack of GPS and MMS, I didn't know we were lacking bluetooth features, which features are disabled?

thunder33cat
10-12-2007, 10:22 AM

Which bluetooth capabilities are disabled?

As for the GPS, agreed - but I have a puck and don't need the internal GPS.

And as for MMS, my understanding is that this isn't limited to Verizon.

My guess is with the new upcoming Blackberry plans, we may see the GPS partially unlocked so that Verizon can try to force us to use Navigator. What would then get me mad is if this somehow disables the use of the puck.

jsntrenkler
10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I have a Verizon 8830 -- I get a corporate discount through my company (Darden Restaurants) .. I get 15% off of my phone service and 20% off of the Data Plan. Check to see if your company is signed up for their corporate discount plan.

Guy in L.A.
10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
My guess is with the new upcoming Blackberry plans, we may see the GPS partially unlocked so that Verizon can try to force us to use Navigator. What would then get me mad is if this somehow disables the use of the puck.

So why IS the GPS disabled anyway? Does anyone know why?

superthief25
10-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I own an 8830 through Verizon, granted, I've only had it for a few weeks now lol, but so far I like it =)

Always been a Blackberry fan..mainly because of the functionality lol But I have noticed that I can use Yahoo! Messenger but not MSN Messenger on it >_<

But overall it's a really nice piece, so far =) The price for the data and phone is a little pricey, but I have NOT had any problems with connectivity, even in buildings, since I bought it =) So I'm pretty happy with it ^_^;;

As far as the Bluetooth issues go, I can't seem to get mine to sync properly with my TomTom GO910 GPS system =/, and that's my only real complaint since the bluetooth connection would give me traffic updates on my GPS via my Blackberry lol Which in San Antonio, would be very helpful lol

But that's all I can think of, if you don't have one yet, just wait til November 1st when the new deal comes out =P But I recommend an 8830 for anyone who's looking for a good Blackberry.

Also noted was the Pearl release coming soon. The Pearl is pretty much the same thing, just in Quick-Key(or whatever it is again lol) format instead of QWERTY. Also, I noticed from doing some research, they have/are going to release ITunes as PearlTunes for the Pearl..dunno about the actual QWERTY Blackberry models or not, but it will be a paid service and won't be able to play protected content...as of right now =/

Sorry for all the additional info, just wanted to put out what I've read up on and tried lol

Enjoy BB'ers =D Laterz for now...

-Father Miller