PDA

View Full Version : Tmobile pricing and IM

Gabe
06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I have a 7100t with Tmobile. My plan includes unlimited internet and email but I have to pay extra for IM services. Does anyone know if using one of the IM add-ons (like IM+) rather than the built-in IM software makes a difference as to how it shows up in Tmobile's network? Is there any IM add-ons that would appear to be an internet application and so allow me to use it with my unlimited data plan?

I only use IM occasionally so I wasn't looking to buy one of the IM packages. But if I can use them as part of the data plan offered by Tmobile it may just pay itself after a while.

Thanks

towski394
06-09-2005, 12:36 PM
I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe your IM comes out of your text message pool. I have the exact same plan as you, but I added the 1000 text messages a month for 9.99. I am also an infrequent IM'er.

Dawg
06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
wow that would suck if it my ims came out of text msgs I use nextel and webmessenger and its all unlimited but I only get 100 text msgs.

bbmember
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I have a 7100t with Tmobile. My plan includes unlimited internet and email but I have to pay extra for IM services. Does anyone know if using one of the IM add-ons (like IM+) rather than the built-in IM software makes a difference as to how it shows up in Tmobile's network? Is there any IM add-ons that would appear to be an internet application and so allow me to use it with my unlimited data plan?

I only use IM occasionally so I wasn't looking to buy one of the IM packages. But if I can use them as part of the data plan offered by Tmobile it may just pay itself after a while.

Thanks

As far as I know, IM+, Verichat, and Webmessenger and other 3rd party IMs do not use the SMS model like the built in Oz IM that comes with t-mobile 7100 series. They are part of the data plan that you pay for email and browsing. They are much better than the built in IM that comes with 7100 series.

LunkHead
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I am using a 7290 on T-Mobile with the BB unlimited data plan. I have an added 300 SMS option. I was currious as well about the IM charges. I sent one yesterday as a test and it DID show up in my account as counting against my SMS total. It showed as:

Date_____ Destination_____ Time_____ Number_____Messages
6/08/05__ Yahoo! Msgr____ 3:52 PM___ 4701 _________1

I guess they DO count against your SMS plan....

Dawg
06-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I know any sms message sent from a pc directly to me, cost me money. unless I use an im program so check into IM+ webmessenger causserie and I know I am missing some but that will get you started

LunkHead
06-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Not worth the trouble or the cost to me.. Just deleted the OZ IM that I downloaded yesterday from T-Mo website. That is plum crazy that they come out of SMS package...

Gabe
06-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Dawg,

So if you use a program like IM+ or webmessenger you don't get billed for IMs you get? But if you use the one that came with the BB you do?

Dawg
06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
We dont have one that comes with a BB, as to my knowledge TMO is the only one so far to does that. But yes your statements are true Gabe

Gabe
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh. My only experience with Blackberry is with Tmobile's 7100t, which is the first and only I have ever used. I thought others had IM software as well.

Well, if that's the case I might as well buy the IM+. It's better than what Tmobile offers and it will allow me to use IM in my BB without text messaging charges. Even at the slow rate I use it it will pay for itself in a few months.

harrya
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I installed Ramble IM on my BB700g from Cingular and there is no charge inbound outbound for aol im as it goes through the data portion of the plan. Do a search as I did and you will find out how to download and install. Good Luck

Soapm
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I installed Ramble IM on my BB700g from Cingular and there is no charge inbound outbound for aol im as it goes through the data portion of the plan. Do a search as I did and you will find out how to download and install. Good Luck

Bingo, the IM from TMobile uses SMS to send the messages but Ramble is free and uses TCP/IP which means your BB plan will cover its usage. You may have to keep logging back in but I don't mind, I believe you get what you pay for and for as little as I use IM it works perfect for me.

test
06-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Bingo, the IM from TMobile uses SMS to send the messages but Ramble is free and uses TCP/IP which means your BB plan will cover its usage. You may have to keep logging back in but I don't mind, I believe you get what you pay for and for as little as I use IM it works perfect for me.

hmmm ramble is free and it works mint on my cingular 7290.....i guess you mean the setup issues...cingular was a mofo to set ramble up on, after the probs i had, i am on aim as long as my phone is on...no need for text messages when you have instant email and ims....pin? do you get charged for pin?

Soapm
06-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I have trouble with Ramble logging off after I have been on long calls or have made a lot of calls. It looks like it is still on but when I go to send a message it is not connected to the network. Could be something I'm doing wrong since i don't see this complaint too often...

jibi
06-09-2005, 10:14 PM
considering when you use voice services (GSM), your data services (GPRS) will not transmit packets, then i would assume the longer the phone call, the better your chances of being disconnected due to no response from your handheld. think of it as your internet connection going out - after a few seconds/minutes, your connections to things such as IM clients would disconnect.

and to piss off the persons who are upset about the IM client and TMO SMS, there WAS the option to send SMS over GPRS (which didn't count against your SMS pool and was included in your unlimited data plan), but they disabled this functionality! and yes, it has been confirmed by TMO customer service reps (by me) that this was done due to billing (money being lost on bypassing normal SMS trails).

Tim Koltek
06-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Slightly off topic, but wouldn't you think T-mobile-to-T-mobile IM would be free like it is for voice calls???

Gabe
06-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Slightly off topic, but wouldn't you think T-mobile-to-T-mobile IM would be free like it is for voice calls???

Yes, absolutely. That was my first thought.

SwishaHouse
06-13-2005, 03:24 AM
I.M's do come out of your text messaging package also when you sign on to any messenger applicaitons it will charge a text message for that. I have (Signed up in June 04) Unlimited text messages for 9.99 and now I have 39.99 unlimited nights and weekends and 1,000 peak minutes Blackberry internet 19.99 = $70.00

rsun
06-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Exactly, I have the same plan and I think it's the most cost effective of any of the US carriers.