BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
delmarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Greystone, NY
Model: 9790
OS: OS 7.1
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 403
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default The Awesome 8700 series' MONACO Leather Case Reviewed (pics included)!

Please Login to Remove!

So I just got this MONACO case off eBay 2 weeks ago
for about $9.50 and $4.95 for shipping.

I was impressed by the quality for what I paid for. I used both the Cingular and T-Mobile leather pouch holsters and found this quality of the Monaco to be much better.
Here are the key points I looked at.

CASE QUALITY: Got 5 out of 5 stars from me. The padded leather or pleather if its fake pouch is really slim and durable. It is well designed and has sleeper magnets on both sides so that you can carry your berry facing out or facing in. However, the pouch seems to be designed for the berry to be facing screen out (away from the clip), but as you see in the pictures you can reverse the berry to face inwards and the sleeper magnets will work.

PROTECTION: Will NOT leave a mark on your berry like the OEM and Siedio Plastic shell cases. The padded velvet lining is first class quality and cushions the berry well. Note that the lining is also slippery so becareful when removing the berry especially if you carry the berry face out and holster the pouch horizontal or sidways (see pictures where my berry slipped out). The padded lid, locks with a magnet button and protects against bumps and other daily encounters. Note the bottom edges and top edges are exposed but only slighty and I did not have any problems with my berry getting banged up. Also I cannot say for sure what will happen to the berry if the case were to drop on a hard surface with the berry inside but I strongly assume the lid would pop open in a hard drop (say from 5+ feet above ground to concrete-hard pavement) and the berry would spill and tumble out. A soft surface drop to carpet, or soft wood floor would be okay.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars in this area.

BELT CLIP: 5 out of 5 stars. The belt clip is a marvel. It is leather (or pleather) with a sticky surface on the inside of the clip that adds to the already firm clip. It is a fully rotational clip that hold the pouch in a slim profile against your body.

OVER ALL: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Well thought out design and quality materials left me a satisfied customer. With an amazing belt clip and unique slim profile padded pouch you'll love this case as well.

I took away half a point for protection. The berry can easily slip out once the lid is open and the velvet lining whiles being a great soft-surface that wont scratch you berry is very slippery when taking the berry out. Plus the magnetic lid won't hold shut in the event of a hard drop and I would expect the berry to spill out and tumble AFTER the case hits the ground.

However, for $10.00 this has to be the BEST CASE that you can currently get for the 8700 series.


Enjoy the Pictures:


PART ONE: INTRO











PART TWO: DETAILS

















PART TRES: CARRYING THE BERRY IN THE MONACO CASE















__________________
9790 Bold
Everything I had before was practice!
9790 9700 8900 8320 8700 7290 7280 7230 6230 all R.I.P!
Offline  
Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice rewiew, thanks! Can you comment on 2 things for me though?

1. Is the belt clip removable?
2. About how much thickness does it add to the BB when it is inside the case?

Thanks!!
Offline  
Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinVW
Nice rewiew, thanks! Can you comment on 2 things for me though?

1. Is the belt clip removable?
2. About how much thickness does it add to the BB when it is inside the case?

Thanks!!

Must be Pleather for that price. I don't find these types of cases to be super functional since I never trust those types of clips. I prefer the Fortte cases with the removable clip because then it can be like a pouch too if I want it.

Great review by the way. You get an A++++++ for that.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 10-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
delmarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Greystone, NY
Model: 9790
OS: OS 7.1
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 403
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinVW
Nice rewiew, thanks! Can you comment on 2 things for me though?

1. Is the belt clip removable?
2. About how much thickness does it add to the BB when it is inside the case?

Thanks!!
No its not removable, but fixed.

In my opinion, the case is slim, but because the belt clip is also slim and close fitted once on your belt I didn't think it add any measurable thickness to the berry that if you were carrying it in the OEM cradle.

I hate bulky leather cases with thick block-like belt clips and I found that this was not like that.

Also the belt clip is also sticky-like so it not only clips it also grips.

thanks.
__________________
9790 Bold
Everything I had before was practice!
9790 9700 8900 8320 8700 7290 7280 7230 6230 all R.I.P!
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Corman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 156
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have to disagree with the 5 out of 5 for the case quality. I just received my case and the blackberry has to be pushed hard into the case before the top will close all of the way. When you do this then the sleeper function does not work. Additionally, the sleeper function only works when the top of the BB sticks out about 1/4 inch and this does not allow the top to close at all. It works a little better when the BB is placed in reverse. This is totally unacceptable! I am sending mine back and that is too bad since I was testing this before purchasing several (100+) for our organization.
__________________
Semper Fidelis
Corman's Blog: http://timeonlegs.blogspot.com/

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8703E
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corman
I have to disagree with the 5 out of 5 for the case quality. I just received my case and the blackberry has to be pushed hard into the case before the top will close all of the way. When you do this then the sleeper function does not work. Additionally, the sleeper function only works when the top of the BB sticks out about 1/4 inch and this does not allow the top to close at all. It works a little better when the BB is placed in reverse. This is totally unacceptable! I am sending mine back and that is too bad since I was testing this before purchasing several (100+) for our organization.
Mine works great (Sleeper function and latching) and I got it for Xmas. I have to admit that when I first got it, it was hard to get the case top to latch. but after a few uses, it works great. I have never had an issue with the sleeper function. I would give it a 5 out of 5.

Tony
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
BBF News Contributer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 140
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great review.
__________________

Editor.
Schwaggr.com
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
albiesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco, California
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 130
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use this case, and it's great. The leather is very durable, and I'm pretty rough with mine, and the sleeper function never fails. The one thing you should keep in mind is that if you have a tendency to carry your BB and case in your pocket instead of clipping on your belt, it can be bulky. Stinsonddog makes a good point that you should get a case with a removable clip so have the option.
__________________
Your Neighborhood PR Guy
Blackberry 8703e (Verizon)

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
delmarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Greystone, NY
Model: 9790
OS: OS 7.1
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 403
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Still going strong!
__________________
9790 Bold
Everything I had before was practice!
9790 9700 8900 8320 8700 7290 7280 7230 6230 all R.I.P!
Offline  
Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Here
Model: Curve
PIN: No thankyou
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 205
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there a 8100 version?
__________________
Love your BlackBerry.......Take it out of the closet and put it to work TODAY.
Offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spokane, WA
Model: 7130C
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corman View Post
I have to disagree with the 5 out of 5 for the case quality. I just received my case and the blackberry has to be pushed hard into the case before the top will close all of the way. When you do this then the sleeper function does not work. Additionally, the sleeper function only works when the top of the BB sticks out about 1/4 inch and this does not allow the top to close at all. It works a little better when the BB is placed in reverse. This is totally unacceptable! I am sending mine back and that is too bad since I was testing this before purchasing several (100+) for our organization.
I just got mine and I have to let the BB stick out 1/4 to 1/2 inch, closer to 1/2 inch for the magnet to work. I guess not much has changed in 6 months. I have emailed the vendor about it to see if they can replace it with one that performs properly (bought on eBay).

David
Offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
So I just got this MONACO case off eBay 2 weeks ago
for about $9.50 and $4.95 for shipping.

I was impressed by the quality for what I paid for. I used both the Cingular and T-Mobile leather pouch holsters and found this quality of the Monaco to be much better.
Here are the key points I looked at.

CASE QUALITY: Got 5 out of 5 stars from me. The padded leather or pleather if its fake pouch is really slim and durable. It is well designed and has sleeper magnets on both sides so that you can carry your berry facing out or facing in. However, the pouch seems to be designed for the berry to be facing screen out (away from the clip), but as you see in the pictures you can reverse the berry to face inwards and the sleeper magnets will work.

PROTECTION: Will NOT leave a mark on your berry like the OEM and Siedio Plastic shell cases. The padded velvet lining is first class quality and cushions the berry well. Note that the lining is also slippery so becareful when removing the berry especially if you carry the berry face out and holster the pouch horizontal or sidways (see pictures where my berry slipped out). The padded lid, locks with a magnet button and protects against bumps and other daily encounters. Note the bottom edges and top edges are exposed but only slighty and I did not have any problems with my berry getting banged up. Also I cannot say for sure what will happen to the berry if the case were to drop on a hard surface with the berry inside but I strongly assume the lid would pop open in a hard drop (say from 5+ feet above ground to concrete-hard pavement) and the berry would spill and tumble out. A soft surface drop to carpet, or soft wood floor would be okay.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars in this area.

BELT CLIP: 5 out of 5 stars. The belt clip is a marvel. It is leather (or pleather) with a sticky surface on the inside of the clip that adds to the already firm clip. It is a fully rotational clip that hold the pouch in a slim profile against your body.

OVER ALL: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Well thought out design and quality materials left me a satisfied customer. With an amazing belt clip and unique slim profile padded pouch you'll love this case as well.

I took away half a point for protection. The berry can easily slip out once the lid is open and the velvet lining whiles being a great soft-surface that wont scratch you berry is very slippery when taking the berry out. Plus the magnetic lid won't hold shut in the event of a hard drop and I would expect the berry to spill out and tumble AFTER the case hits the ground.

However, for $10.00 this has to be the BEST CASE that you can currently get for the 8700 series.


Enjoy the Pictures:


PART ONE: INTRO
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/monaco10.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/monaco11.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/monaco12.jpg


PART TWO: DETAILS

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco2.jpg



http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco5.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco6.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco8.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco9.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/monaco15.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ry/monaco4.jpg

PART TRES: CARRYING THE BERRY IN THE MONACO CASE

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14d.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14b.jpg


http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/monaco14.jpg


http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14e.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14f.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14h.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../monaco14g.jpg

hey chief, no offense, but i would rather go onto Amazon and buy the OEM RIM Lambskin Leather case with durable swivel belt clip...for only $18 total price. it can be found here:

Amazon.com: RIM BlackBerry 8700 8700c 8700g 8703e Lambskin Leather Holster Case with Swivel Belt Clip (BLACK) - HDW-11939-001: Cell Phones & Service


HIGHER QUALITY LAMBSKIN leather, more CLASSY in appearance, and FULL WARRANTY from RIM. i HATE a leather swivel clip, seems like a dumb idea. i had a case like that once and it was unecessarily difficult to put on and remove from one's belt (too much leather on leather resistance). one might think this to be a good thing b/c it won't slip off, but the plastic durable clip does the same thing without the resistance, you just push on the tab and it separates.

Last edited by JGBerry : 06-26-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just placed an order for two of these, as I want a nicer holder for my BlackBerry. I have been using the default plastic joint that came with my 8700g. Time for a change!
Offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I just placed an order for two of these, as I want a nicer holder for my BlackBerry. I have been using the default plastic joint that came with my 8700g. Time for a change!


yea my friend has one. great case.

yo jeremy...great minds think alike
Offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
yo jeremy...great minds think alike
Indeed
Offline  
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.