I must admit that I like the minimalist appearance of the OEM holster. The slim profile and versatile belt clip that allows you to wear the berry on any part of your clothing and you won't even know its there.
However, the OEM holster does have it flaws.
1. It offers no protection for berry. The screen and keypads are hidden and protected, but the other 75% of the berry's surface is expose to every element around you.
2. The case DOES scars, wears, tears-away-at, and marks you berry. Even after a day or two of use you will cleary see where this is happening and how.
3. The berry can easily fall out the holster, even if the belt clip is secured any light brush or accidental tap and your berry will go flying across the room. Or as I seen once in the NYC subway a business man standing at the edge of the platform decided to see if he could check his email underground and paid the price for his curiosity as his berry went flying onto the tracks in less than an instant.
BOTTOM LINE: Looks are deceiving, especially for those customers that assume using the OEM holster will be best since it is the OEM holster. In my experience and opinion don't use it. Use the similar looking and much more secure Seidio holster if you really need a slim profiled holster that looks like OEM.
The Seidio Holster was one of my favorite Holsters ever, i used it for a period of 5-6 months straight in tandem with the Milante Foam holster (when I needed more protection). Here are some updated facts on the seidio holster.
1. It will last and it will survive all sorts drops, crushing in your bookbag, rockclimbing (i did this over the summer with the seidio cliped into my climbing harness) and curious toddlers that are at the age where throwing, eating and prying open things give them pleasure.
2. It will protect your berry when you drop it, for some reason when the holster fell on several occasions, it always landed either clip-side down or on the front where the latch horn and bottom cup of the holster where the only part in contact with the ground. And the berry will not come out of the holster even if you throw it off a subway platform.
3. The full swivel clip is durable and will last and outlast your berry.
4. Sadly the original and skin-less version of the Seidio holster will scar you berry. The scarring is not nearly as bad as you'll get from the OEM holster. But during 6 months of use I found out if you file the bottom cup and edges of the holster (see pictures below), it will prevent any major scaring and minimize whatever damage it would have done to your berry. Also wear from the top latch, which was originally suspected to be a big problem, is really minimal and not that bad.
At the end of the day I will take the SEIDIO holster over the OEM holster home! This holster now comes in a skinned version where you can insert and rubber-skinned berry so that way you get the best protection without wear on your berry. Enjoy the pictures: PART ONE: 8700 OEM Holster review: PART TWO: 8700 SEIDIO Holster review: PART TRES: DAMAGE From Holsters: