Originally Posted by Intex
It's local MSDE to local MSDE and I have the choice of whether the hostnames will be the same or not.
So you'll want to:
1) Schedule a nice downtime window
2) Document your SRP / CAL / BES Server name
3) Stop BES Services on current server (and set to disabled)
4) Backup database
5) Copy database to new server (along with any custom software / applications you've had the BES install to your HHs)
6) Turn off current BES (Your going to change the hostname to match)
7) Reset AD Computer account object for your BES
8) Add new server to AD domain with same name as original server
9) Perform prerequisite installation requirements (including install MDSE ... you can find directions on this site and through google on procedures to manually install MSDE)
10) Restore database on new server
11) Begin installation of BES Software (if it is a newer version you'll simply upgrade the database in place as you install the software... just make sure you have the full installer from RIM) ... don't use an older version of the software.
12) Once the install is complete, make sure you schedule backups of your MSDE database (search the forum for msde backup and you'll find a script I wrote to automate this for you).