BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Devices in Australia work on UK BES?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi.

We have some users based in Australia who have sourced some Curves locally and we want to add them to our BES based in the UK (This is where their mail is based as well.) Should this work? I don't see any reason why not. They tried activating this morning but it just sat there waiting and not doing anything. The only think I can think of is that it is not provisioned correctly.

Any ideas anyone?


Cheers
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,631
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its possible that they don't have a BES (Enterprise BlackBerry Data) plan on their HH ...

What mail platform are you using (version and service pack too)
What BES version are you using (service pack too)

You need to set permissions on the mail environment so you'll need to address that (if they're on a different mail server).
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the quick response.

We are using Domino 6.5.4 fp3.
And BES 4.1.4.15

They are on the same mail server as everyone in the UK so no problem there. I am thinking that they are not provisioned for BES it sounds like the most plausible explanation.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,631
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sounds like that is the case; let us know.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
bertiebassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Posts: 961
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberryaddiction View Post
Hi.

We have some users based in Australia who have sourced some Curves locally and we want to add them to our BES based in the UK (This is where their mail is based as well.) Should this work? I don't see any reason why not. They tried activating this morning but it just sat there waiting and not doing anything. The only think I can think of is that it is not provisioned correctly.

Any ideas anyone?


Cheers
As usual hdawg has got it spot on - I'd suggest very much thats the problem, assuming all your UK users are ent activating ok. We have several customers with multiple blackberries scattered across the globe, including users in russia with accounts hosted on a London BES.....

It's virtually always the local carrier provisoning on consumer (or BIS) not BES - largely because the shop/telesales agent doesn't even know what BES is..
__________________
LOTS of answers here: Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't work. Have them check their service providor and request for the Enterprise BlackBerry plan. We've got a few users in Australia and New Zealand on our BES/Exchange in the US.

A quick way to check (at least for devices on ATT and T-Mobile) is to go to options> advanced options> and see if "Enterprise Activation" is listed. If it's not there, they don't have the right data plan.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Posts: 29
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also make sure the SIM has roaming.
I think you can also do a quick test by sending them a PIN msg, if that doesn't work then they arn't provisioned correctly.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
bertiebassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Posts: 961
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
Also make sure the SIM has roaming.
I think you can also do a quick test by sending them a PIN msg, if that doesn't work then they arn't provisioned correctly.
Why..they're using Australian devices & Australian Sims in Australia. who cares about roaming..

Sending a PIN message will prove that the device has got GPRS activated and is registered ok with RIM but it won't discriminate between BES and BIS plan which I'd lay $10 is the problem here..
__________________
LOTS of answers here: Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Malkier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL
Posts: 262
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett View Post
Why..they're using Australian devices & Australian Sims in Australia. who cares about roaming..

Sending a PIN message will prove that the device has got GPRS activated and is registered ok with RIM but it won't discriminate between BES and BIS plan which I'd lay $10 is the problem here..
Yup, the Carriers in Australia are good at getting the BIS/BES thing mixed up, specially if you dont go through the carriers directly.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Posts: 29
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sorry if this is a little off topic/hijacking but it still has to do with the main topic.

The reason i asked about roaming was because i thought they were going to use SIM cards from the UK.
Can you purchase other SIM cards from different countries and use BES? don't they at least have to be of an associate carrior?
for example we use Optus network so if we had a client who would be based in the united kingdom, could they use (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone) SIMs instead of Optus ones without roaming?

With the PIN msg i was told that it could help track down provisioning problems done by the network carrior. For instance the enterprise activation icon sometimes would disappear once a first attempt was made, this turned out to be a provisioning error.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
bertiebassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Posts: 961
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
Sorry if this is a little off topic/hijacking but it still has to do with the main topic.

The reason i asked about roaming was because i thought they were going to use SIM cards from the UK. Can you purchase other SIM cards from different countries and use BES? don't they at least have to be of an associate carrior?
for example we use Optus network so if we had a client who would be based in the united kingdom, could they use (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone) SIMs instead of Optus ones without roaming?
Yes. All that's required is that the 'foreign carrier' supports Blackberry (and GPRS) natively. Becasause the BES talks to RIM and not the carrier directly, RIM then figure out that device AAAA0000 is on O2 UK for example and pings the message across to O2 for delivery.

As roaming rates are expensive then most people who are 'overseas' for 3-12 months will get local devices and local sims, as this keeps costs down especially if the devices are used for voice as well. But hence you're reliant on the local network/reseller/dealer to be able to the SIM for BES correctly. Plus note that pre-paid sims usually don't support BES or BIS plans

Intriguingly yesterday we got a request from a customer to see if BB would work in DR Congo - but they don't appear to have GPRS let alone BB.

if you need some UK devices and airtime from a service provider who 'does have a clue' then drop me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post

With the PIN msg i was told that it could help track down provisioning problems done by the network carrior. For instance the enterprise activation icon sometimes would disappear once a first attempt was made, this turned out to be a provisioning error.

Thanks
In my experience it's not quite as cut and dried as that, and it won't prove the BIS vs. BES case which is 75% of the time the solution to the problem.
__________________
LOTS of answers here: Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by bertiebassett : 11-01-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Offline  
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just to let you all know that it was provisioning issue as we all initially thought.

Thanks for all the responses.
Offline  
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
bertiebassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Posts: 961
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberryaddiction View Post
Just to let you all know that it was provisioning issue as we all initially thought.

Thanks for all the responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett View Post
I'd lay $10 is the problem here..

That'll be the $10 you owe me then
__________________
LOTS of answers here: Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.