BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: Tilt
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Upgrade best practices

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently running BES for Exchange 4.1.0.38 and would like to upgrade to the latest greatest 4.1.4. As a good data center minion, I now get to fully document every procedure that takes place in my inner sanctum and I need to know the following:
Do I need to install 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3 prior to installing 4.1.4?
Any gotchas coming my way?

TIA,
tsarchasm

p.s. I humbly apologize if this question has been asked ad infinitum, please be gentle.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar chasm View Post
I am currently running BES for Exchange 4.1.0.38 and would like to upgrade to the latest greatest 4.1.4. As a good data center minion, I now get to fully document every procedure that takes place in my inner sanctum and I need to know the following:
Do I need to install 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3 prior to installing 4.1.4?
Any gotchas coming my way?

TIA,
tsarchasm

p.s. I humbly apologize if this question has been asked ad infinitum, please be gentle.
A good question! RIM has a best practice recommendation:

Best practices for installing a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack

Service packs are all inclusive of previous versions so you'd just need to do 4.1.4. Is the BES Configuration database local to the BES running on MSDE or is it remote?

You might also look to install the released maintenance releases too ... they are all inclusive of each other so MR2 can be installed without MR1, but you need to have SP4 on first.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: Tilt
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
A good question! RIM has a best practice recommendation:

Best practices for installing a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack

Service packs are all inclusive of previous versions so you'd just need to do 4.1.4. Is the BES Configuration database local to the BES running on MSDE or is it remote?

You might also look to install the released maintenance releases too ... they are all inclusive of each other so MR2 can be installed without MR1, but you need to have SP4 on first.
Thanks for the fast reply, We are on SQL 2000 SP2, now I need to figure out how to migrate this to our SQL 2005 database server.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar chasm View Post
Thanks for the fast reply, We are on SQL 2000 SP2, now I need to figure out how to migrate this to our SQL 2005 database server.
Search through the forums here and at BlackBerry Technical Solution Center ... look for "move sql" or "sql migration" ... you'll find lots of references.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
bertiebassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Posts: 961
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Insert the disk...next, next, next, make cup of tea, re-boot server and relax..

It's pretty painless but BACKUP first the database, reg entries etc. and make sure you have original disks, and paper records of SRP ID & Auth code & CAL details.. just in case it all goes a bit strange..

My worst was a 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade, which to get working I had to hose the OS and start from scratch - but the original 3.6 implementaiton (not mine) was pretty screwy anyway!
__________________
LOTS of answers here: Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: Tilt
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett View Post
Insert the disk...next, next, next, make cup of tea, re-boot server and relax..

It's pretty painless but BACKUP first the database, reg entries etc. and make sure you have original disks, and paper records of SRP ID & Auth code & CAL details.. just in case it all goes a bit strange..

My worst was a 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade, which to get working I had to hose the OS and start from scratch - but the original 3.6 implementaiton (not mine) was pretty screwy anyway!
Yeesh, the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade was the stuff of nightmares.

Okay, I'm resigned to doing a db migration first, I have roughly 200 users living in that database, if all goes well, how long you think to move everything and bring the BES back up? The Change Advisory Board is breathing down my back.
Offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Model: 8703e
Carrier: MTS Mobility
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I recently completed the upgrade from 4.1 to 4.1.4 and I was surprised how painless it was.

The only hic up during the install was for some reason my Auth code was not accepted. I had to call tech support and they generated a new code for me.

Good luck.
__________________
Pokey Stipple
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.