BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/)
-   -   Testing on BES Express before roll out to full BES (http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/103685-testing-bes-express-before-roll-out-full-bes.html)

churchie 11-07-2007 09:54 AM

Testing on BES Express before roll out to full BES
 
We want to test BES with a single device using the 'free' BES Express server, which we have downloaded and ready to install complete with requisite license keys.

The initial test install is planned to take place on the target box that will be used for the full roll out. If it works to our satisfaction we plan to remove the Express edition completely and license a full version with about 20 users.

The question is this - how easy is it to remove the test BES completely from the server before installing the real thing?

Another related question is whether it is common practice to have a 'test' server set up on a perm. basis for testing/experimentation. Would the Express edition meet this need?

Thanks as always for any help.
Churchie

JGonzalezGUS 11-07-2007 10:42 AM

We have a Express server that we use for applying MS patches, RIM SPs, etc prior to doing it on our full BES.
That said, we originally had 2 Express and upgraded one to full, using an upgrade key, which is cheaper than buying a separate full BES.

bertiebassett 11-07-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchie (Post 731306)
We want to test BES with a single device using the 'free' BES Express server, which we have downloaded and ready to install complete with requisite license keys.

The initial test install is planned to take place on the target box that will be used for the full roll out. If it works to our satisfaction we plan to remove the Express edition completely and license a full version with about 20 users.

The question is this - how easy is it to remove the test BES completely from the server before installing the real thing?

Why - it's much easier to unlock the BES from Express to the full solution and then just use that - no need to waster time uninstalling / re-installing, and if you've deployed the test device to an end-user you'll be in trouble for turning them off.

This licensing thread provides more details on how this is achieved.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ng-thread.html


Quote:

Originally Posted by churchie (Post 731306)
Another related question is whether it is common practice to have a 'test' server set up on a perm. basis for testing/experimentation.

It's reasonably common, but in my experience guess not many customers with that number of devices would bother. Most customers with upwards of 150-200 are more interested in test labs. Obviously with VMware based solutions then it's easier to test and roll-back if required.


Quote:

Originally Posted by churchie (Post 731306)
Would the Express edition meet this need?

Yes it would but remember that

A) You can NEVER have 2 BES's running with the same SRP ID & Auth Code (so if you go down the route of upgrading as I've outlined above, get a new express BES SRP ID for the text box)

B) Express is limited to 1 user, unless you buy more so no that effective for testing different handsets (for example)

jibi 11-07-2007 06:17 PM

We have our test environment installed on VMWare and currently growing to ~10 users for this setup. To get by the BES Expressing single-license issue, each device is eligible for a free BES Express SRP and CAL, so register 10 of your devices (with the 10 associated email accounts) and install them to the single BES Express individually. :)

avial 11-07-2007 11:38 PM

Jibi - I have definitely spent some time discussing your approach to BES device CAL licensing with some coworkers. Is RIM's stance on this documented anywhere? I assume they don't say that the CALs you receive through BES Express can only be used with that specific BES Express Server CAL but I never bothered going through the entire ToS either.

As for the OP's question, I, and many others surely, find RIM's naming scheme very annoying because it instantly conjures thoughts of limited functionality when in fact the only limitation is license limit.

Malkier 11-07-2007 11:54 PM

The new BES professional does not have MDS and a few other bits and pieces are different also. I'm wouldn't recomend this version as a test box, but I havent had a chance to play with it much yet. Jibi will know more about it then I do currently.

jibi 11-22-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avial (Post 732407)
Jibi - I have definitely spent some time discussing your approach to BES device CAL licensing with some coworkers. Is RIM's stance on this documented anywhere? I assume they don't say that the CALs you receive through BES Express can only be used with that specific BES Express Server CAL but I never bothered going through the entire ToS either.

As for the OP's question, I, and many others surely, find RIM's naming scheme very annoying because it instantly conjures thoughts of limited functionality when in fact the only limitation is license limit.

Although it may have changed, when I last went through the ToS, it simply stated that you were able to get one SRP and one CAL for a unique device and email address. This was not limited to one per person or one per company. This may have changed since I last built up a cheap test environment (I've since moved to an enterprise SRP and 100 CALs).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.