BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Knife-Edge Migration: A Few Questions

Please Login to Remove!

From what I have gathered here, these are the steps I need to take in a knife-edge

Quote:
You want to perform a knife edge cutover (at least that is what you've explained)

If you're going to rename the new server so it has the same hostname along with the same BES Server Name (which has to remain the same), then you simply stop the services on the original server, backup the database, turn off the original server, reset the computer account of the original server in active directory, rename the new server to the name of the old server (ip address can be different), install BES on new server (do not start services), restore database to new server, start services.
I have a question regarding it, though.

After installing and rebooting, the new server will go through it's configuration, and during that time it prompts for database information, Client Access License, and SRP. Do I input the same values as is on the old server? Or do I cancel out of the install at that point and restore the database, then start the services?
Offline  
Old 11-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwiz82 View Post
After installing and rebooting, the new server will go through it's configuration, and during that time it prompts for database information, Client Access License, and SRP. Do I input the same values as is on the old server? Or do I cancel out of the install at that point and restore the database, then start the services?
If you restore the *.mdf and *.ldf into place before you install, you can point the installation to the database at that point. If you choose not to restore the files until after the installation is complete, you need to name the database the exact same thing as it is presently called. (Prolly BESMgmt)
Use your regular SRP and CAL to get the server running.

When you drop in the database, everybody and everything should appear as normal.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBBerry View Post
If you restore the *.mdf and *.ldf into place before you install, you can point the installation to the database at that point. If you choose not to restore the files until after the installation is complete, you need to name the database the exact same thing as it is presently called. (Prolly BESMgmt)
Use your regular SRP and CAL to get the server running.

When you drop in the database, everybody and everything should appear as normal.
Does this include the rest of BES CALs? What if I put the wrong CAL license in when first installing the server? Any issues with that?
Offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, all the CALs are in the DB. As long as you put in a valid CAL it'll proceed
Offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwiz82 View Post
Does this include the rest of BES CALs? What if I put the wrong CAL license in when first installing the server? Any issues with that?
What if you put in a wrong CAL? Then the installation tell you, WRONG!!in not a so polite manner.
Once you drop the DB into place, all the CALs entered in the past will auto populate.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBBerry View Post
What if you put in a wrong CAL? Then the installation tell you, WRONG!!in not a so polite manner.
Once you drop the DB into place, all the CALs entered in the past will auto populate.
I should have been clearer about my usage of 'wrong'. When I say wrong, I mean a valid BES CAL, but not the same original CAL I had added when I first installed the server. I have a bunch of individual licenses, which is why I ask.
Offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwiz82 View Post
I should have been clearer about my usage of 'wrong'. When I say wrong, I mean a valid BES CAL, but not the same original CAL I had added when I first installed the server. I have a bunch of individual licenses, which is why I ask.
As long as it's a valid CAL, BES doesn't care which one you use. It could be the first one you ever entered, the last one or one purchased somewhere in betweeen. It just needs to validate against the BlackBerry Farm and you're golden.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I just ran through everything as listed and I have failed. I have restored everything, services are up, SRP is correct, all users are in, I see policies re-pushed, but the contact time is not updating and no email is syncing.

Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think I found out what is happening, but not why. The network message for a reactivation are not being pulled out of the inboxes.
Offline  
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwiz82 View Post
I think I found out what is happening, but not why. The network message for a reactivation are not being pulled out of the inboxes.
Check your permissions.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It was a "smack your head" error. I forgot to apply the correct SP on Exchange Admin. Doh! All is well. It would have been a 45 minute migration had I noticed that.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.