Now this may seem like a stupid question, but one of my clients has a BES, it's the express version the install went through happily. I've got the SRP etc.. now what I don't know is if it's on the network if you see what I mean? How do I know if it is up and running properly?
If this was a mail server I'd telnet to it and see if I get a response but for a BES what do I do?
The BES is only for 1 person hence why BES express.
Other stuff you may need to know the User was BIS and then moved to BES, the BB was wiped and it receives a you are now on teh wireless network message, however all that happens when I add the user is I get a user initialising in the BES admin, interestingly the user just sat in teh deleting user optin for 24 hours when I tried deleting the account and doing it again.
Any help here greatfully accepted.
BES 4.1.4 if that helps? Plus yes I know the difference between BES and BIS
Outside of that you could try executing:
bbsrptest.exe and IEMSTest.exe (and picking a user in the GAL)
Options > Advanced Options
If they have an option named "Enterprise Activation" they are likely fine.
Most if not all carriers have that option removed if you are not on an Enterprise plan.
Thanks guys, so you know I've spoken to Vodaphone and they assure me it is on a BES contract, thought I'd said that, also I have received a message on the blackberry saying it is registered on the wireless network, although I've no idea how much value to put on that. Sadly I don't have another blackberry to try and get going on this server as it's a BB Express. And this will be the only user using BES.
Shame there aren't any specific tools to test to see if your server is up and working on the network.. I'll try the things you suggested though, and a big cheers so far :-)
Okey Dokey I ran the tests, they all worked successfully so I guess it will be another couple of hours waiting in a queue with Vodaphone, bugger... In your esteemed opinions are most problems down to the carrier?
BUT as it's new BES as well that's not proven to be working yet then It could also be permission issues.. I would take the following steps
1) Log onto BES as BESadmin
2) Start BB Manager
3) Check the SRP status as "connected"
4) Check all BB related windows services are started.
Then using the USB cable in the box, cable the device to the USB port on the BES, then add the user, and 'assign' the device to the user. This should kick off the activation process via the USB and about 10-15 mins later should all be good..
Then try sending an email from the device - if a red X then click on the message, and post the error details below...
Thanks for this, I've checked the SRP status and I get "connected " wierdly the Blackberry Database consistency service and BB MDS service weren't started, I'm pretty sure all services were started when I last looked, but the thing has been rebooted since. I have already tried connecting the BB via the cable and the user still sits as initialising.
I'll be on the phone to the tech support at Vodaphone later today, but I am assured that the phone is on BES and BIS, who knows? :-)
Looks like I'm running out of things to check :-(
I will of course post what the problem was and the fix if I actually find it :-)
Another thing and this may be totally unrelated but I seem to remember seeing something about not having Outlook on the same machine? I know the security implications to having mapi on a mail server, but is there an issue with BES?
The Database Consistency Service is legacy code from 3.6 and not used. Leave it as disabled.
When you connected the handheld through USB, did you click Assign Device under this user's account?
I've tried that but I get a "no connected devices" dialougue box, which is very strange as BB Desktop manager recognises the device it picks up the Pin number and it syncs with outlook but strangely it looks like the server isn't picking up on this. I made sure Window firewall is disabled both on the server and the client machine.. Interstingly when I try an enterprise activation wirelessly then the BB does get the rim email, it's just never picked up, but that makes sense if the server can't even see the device.
Another update I connected this to the BES through the USB, happily the BB is seen here and it pikcs up the PIN number but now it looks my world of pain is getting worse as I get a:
"An error occurred while assigning the device to the user"
"The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent, it can take minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialised by the server before they can be provisioned (16)
Have you checked the Exchange permissions for the service account?
Just checked BESAdmin has sendas right on the mail store damn damn damn
BESAdmin is also Domain Admins is this correct?
Even though you see the permission assigned, Domain Admins contains an explicit deny on Send As and Receive As.
Assigning permissions for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server administration account
God I am stupid I knew this, removing from group now...... Lets see what happens...
Hey there thanks for all the help on this. Sadly I never got to the root of the problem as removing from Domain Admins didn't work and going through the prerequisites for the permissions everything seemed right. In the end it was easier just to remove and reinstall, in some ways I wish I'd done that a while ago. I'm not keen on the un-install -e-install method of I.T.. Hey ho as they say and thanks for the help..
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.