BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Upgrade 4.0 > 4.14 moving to new hardware

Please Login to Remove!

I thought I would ask this just to be sure.
I am planning on upgrading our BES server which 4.0 SP6 over to 4.1.4
At the same time I want to move over to a newer hardware.
SQL DB is on a different server and will remain there.

Question is should I upgrade 4.0.6 to 4.1.4 before cutting over or can I just load 4.1.4 on the new server and point to the existing DB or should I install 4.0.6 on the new server point to the DB and then upgrade to 4.1.4.

Thanks for the help
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer82 View Post
I thought I would ask this just to be sure.
I am planning on upgrading our BES server which 4.0 SP6 over to 4.1.4
At the same time I want to move over to a newer hardware.
SQL DB is on a different server and will remain there.

Question is should I upgrade 4.0.6 to 4.1.4 before cutting over or can I just load 4.1.4 on the new server and point to the existing DB or should I install 4.0.6 on the new server point to the DB and then upgrade to 4.1.4.

Thanks for the help
From personal experience in the same area, do the upgrade to 4.1.4 on the old box first. Verify that it's working, then do your Knife Edge Cut Over.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^ what he said.

Also, if you want to save yourself a little trouble with MDS; keep the COMPUTERNAME the same between the move (which means you need to remove the old bes from AD before you add the new one)
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
^ what he said.

Also, if you want to save yourself a little trouble with MDS; keep the COMPUTERNAME the same between the move (which means you need to remove the old bes from AD before you add the new one)
My upgrade went pretty smoothly thanks to MonkeyBoy.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies will do the upgrade on the old server first and then move over to the new one

This is all scheduled for tonight so hopefully all goes well. I am new to the whole BES admin stuff, our previous admin left the campnay so I am learning this on the fly until we find a replacement.

Thanks again
Offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LI, NY
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is it possible at all to go from 4.0.4 to 4.1.4 on a new server using the same db?
Offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuman View Post
Is it possible at all to go from 4.0.4 to 4.1.4 on a new server using the same db?
Nope. The DB schema needs to be updated in coordination with software. When you do the upgrade, the DB is modified at the same time. It's not backwards compatible.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuman View Post
Is it possible at all to go from 4.0.4 to 4.1.4 on a new server using the same db?
Are you talking about BES 4.0 and BES 4.1 sharing the same db on SQL?
__________________
Exchange 2007/BES 5.0.2 MR2
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LI, NY
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
Are you talking about BES 4.0 and BES 4.1 sharing the same db on SQL?
If I were to back up the 4.0.4 db and restore it to a 4.1.4, and then shutdown the old server and run the new server, will that work?
Or is it possible to have the 4.1.4 server connect to the 4.0.4 db and then move the user to the new server, without having to either install 4.0.4 on the new server or upgrade the old server to 4.1.4?

Thanks
Offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuman View Post
If I were to back up the 4.0.4 db and restore it to a 4.1.4, and then shutdown the old server and run the new server, will that work?
Or is it possible to have the 4.1.4 server connect to the 4.0.4 db and then move the user to the new server, without having to either install 4.0.4 on the new server or upgrade the old server to 4.1.4?

Thanks
When you upgrade the server to 4.1.4, it automatically connects to the database and upgrades the schema. You DO need to make a back up of the DB prior to the upgrade, but 4.1.4 will look at you funny if you try to force it to a 4.0.4 DB.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LI, NY
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I ran a 4.0.7 db on a 4.1.2 BES, and it ran fine. However, when you try to install a SP to it it crashes.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuman View Post
I ran a 4.0.7 db on a 4.1.2 BES, and it ran fine. However, when you try to install a SP to it it crashes.
Which is why you should run a 4.1.2 database on a 4.1.2 BES ...
Offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
Which is why you should run a 4.1.2 database on a 4.1.2 BES ...
Well duh.... LOL
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.