I just did the migration from MSDE to SQL Server 2005 2 days ago:
Our server is a BES 4.0.6 for IBM Lotus Domino. I did the following steps :
- I did a backup of MSDE Database.
- Stoped MSDE & blackberry services and copied BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmt.ldf files (only those two files), (I did not uninstall MSDE, just disabled the service)
- Installed SQL2005 and created a new db instance.
- copied BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmt.ldf to the data directory of my SQL2005 data directory
- From the SQL 2005 studio manager, attached the mdf file, it has automatically referenced the .ldf file as well.
- Looked at the Blackberry services, some services starts with a different user account... (mine was LOCALSYSTEM for most of the BB services except BBDispatcher that was running under the local Administrator account, so I had to assign dbowner & dbcreator rights in the SQL db for this user.
- I ran Blackberry server config and pointed the db to the new instance.
- I ran BB manager and did the same.
Now I came accross a problem with the blackberry dispatcher service that wouldn't start with service specific error 5608 :
To fix that I ran Blackberry server config again and created a 2nd db (in the same SQL2005 instance), for example BESmgmt2, i clicked next, it asked for srp id... I clicked cancel.
I relauched Blackberry server config and pointed it back to the original db.
Pb solved and migration finished.
So far I didn't had any user reporting that their Blackberry is not working, no need to reactivate any devices.
So this is the quick and maybe-not-so-dirty way to do it,
I found the migration documentation provided by RIM a bit confusing as I'm by no ways a db admin. Hope this helps.