Upgrading JRE from 1.4.2_03 to 1.4.2_07 or greater
Please Login to Remove!
Just an FYI for those of you who have been suggested by RIM to upgrade JRE on the BES server to fix the memory leak issue for MDS and the version of JRE 1.4.2_03 that was included with BES 4.0 (mind you, a known memory leak, yet the JRE version was STILL included with SP1), the MDS service's startup parameters need to be changed after you have upgraded JRE.
- Uninstall previous version of JRE (1.4.2_03)
- Reboot will be required; I'd suggest deleting the installation directory for this version (usually located in C:\Program Files\Java)
- Install new version (1.4.2_07 or greater; currently available versions are 1.4.2_08 and 1.5.0_04)
- Stop the MDS service (unless its already stopped itself)
- Click on Start then Run and type in regedit and click OK
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BlackBerry Mobile Data Service key
- Double-click on 'ImagePath' (it will look like something below):
D:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\bin\bmds.exe -s jvmpath="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\client\jvm.dll" -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xss64K -Xmx256M -Xms96M -XX:NewSize=32M -XX:MaxNewSize=96M -XX:NewRatio=2 classpathdir="D:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\classpath\\" wrkdir="D:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\SERVERNAME1\\" webserverdir="D:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\webserver\\" -log.console -rbes "SERVERNAME1"
- Change the jvmpath= variable to reflect the new version and path (if changed during a custom install); i.e.- jvmpath="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\client\jvm.dll"
- Close out of Registry Editor and start the service up
RIM not only says the newer versions are supported by the BES software as well as RIM's support, but they also suggest doing so.
BTW, the error being received prior to the change is the following:
The BlackBerry Mobile Data Service service terminated with the following error:
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
[EN= 997] [EMSG= Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. (0x3e5)] [SRC=.\source\javaserver.c][LINE=810]
__________________ In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
So, I went to see what version of JRE I'm running and it appears I actually have BOTH 1.4.2_03 and 1.5.0_04 running but the Registry key still points to the older version. Do I then just need to point it to the newer one?