BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Whoever
 
audit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,217
Post Thanks: 37
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Domino BES Implimentation questions.

Please Login to Remove!

As some of you know, I've been put in charge of a domino bes implementation but being an Exchange guy, this is all Greek to me. I have the installation guide for BES on Domino 4.1.4 and have gone through it as much as I can. Now some of the questions that i have are;
  1. Do I need a special user account to install BES on like in Exchange?
  2. Does the special user account need any special permissions like run as service?
  3. What port do I need open on the firewall? I'm reading 3101 but was also told that it's 1352 so I need to know which one for sure.
  4. This is a brand new install that's going in from scratch and the company is doing all the Domino work as far as creating groups and/or users. Are their any limitations with it like we have with protected groups in Exchange and Domain Admins?
  5. Can this be done remotely as long as I have VPN access to the new servers? I'm putting in a new SQL 2005 server and a new server for running Domino as the Primary Domain Directory and BES 4.1.4 on. I really don't want to go on site if I don't have to.

The proposal has to be done today to give to the client tomorrow so I'm trying to get all my eggs in 1 basket so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks
__________________
audit

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mahoward's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 560
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Some responses:

1&2) This depends on which type of authentication you are using for SQL server. If NT, then your Dispatcher, MDS, Policy, and Sync services need to use the NT account which has access to the SQL db. If you are using SQL authentication, i.e. a SQL username and password vs. NT, then the account the services run under (i.e. the account the BES is installed under) should just be an admin of the server itself.

For the nitty gritty on SQL permissions required for BES Domino check out this series of blog posts:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server on Domino Discussion: BES SQL Permissions Explained - Part 0



3) Notes & Domino use port 1352 to communicate internally. BES does not use this outbound to connect with the NOC, just 3101 like Exchange.

4) Make sure to create your BlackBerryAdmins group which contains your notes BB admins and also the LocalDomainServers group. The LocalDomainServers group also must contain your BES servers, which is how they access the BB user's mailfiles and state databases. It is normal to put all Domino servers into this special group so your Domino admins should understand.

5) Don't see why not... you can RDP to the console of the servers by using the "connect to console:i:1" line in the .rdp file. This is very useful in a Domino environment b/c the Domino console only appears on the console, not under any other user terminal session. And sometimes you need to interact with the console directly.

Good luck!
__________________
BESX 4.1.7 on Exchange 2003: 65 Devices
BESX 5.0.3 on Exchange 2003: 2007 Devices
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mahoward's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 560
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

p.s. have you seen this:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Lotus Domino: BlackBerry Enterprise Server Pre Installation Guide
__________________
BESX 4.1.7 on Exchange 2003: 65 Devices
BESX 5.0.3 on Exchange 2003: 2007 Devices
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Whoever
 
audit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,217
Post Thanks: 37
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward View Post
Some responses:

1&2) This depends on which type of authentication you are using for SQL server. If NT, then your Dispatcher, MDS, Policy, and Sync services need to use the NT account which has access to the SQL db. If you are using SQL authentication, i.e. a SQL username and password vs. NT, then the account the services run under (i.e. the account the BES is installed under) should just be an admin of the server itself.
I'm not sure what type of authentication I'm going to be using yet. I'm thinking that it's going to be NT based and will do the install under the Administrator username.

Quote:
For the nitty gritty on SQL permissions required for BES Domino check out this series of blog posts:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server on Domino Discussion: BES SQL Permissions Explained - Part 0
I'll read that part after my head quits bleeding from banging it on the table.

Quote:
3) Notes & Domino use port 1352 to communicate internally. BES does not use this outbound to connect with the NOC, just 3101 like Exchange.
I know that 1352 is already open for the current network, I saw that the BES needs 3101 so I just wanted to verify it all.

Quote:
4) Make sure to create your BlackBerryAdmins group which contains your notes BB admins and also the LocalDomainServers group. The LocalDomainServers group also must contain your BES servers, which is how they access the BB user's mailfiles and state databases. It is normal to put all Domino servers into this special group so your Domino admins should understand.
This is the part that they are going to do, I know less about domino then I do about being a brain surgeon so we've put in the proposal that they do all the domino work, that includes us shipping the servers to them and they handle all the other work as far as OS Install/patches/etc.

Quote:
5) Don't see why not... you can RDP to the console of the servers by using the "connect to console:i:1" line in the .rdp file. This is very useful in a Domino environment b/c the Domino console only appears on the console, not under any other user terminal session. And sometimes you need to interact with the console directly.
Yea I do that now with a lot of my current servers so I'm good there. I just wasn't sure if I could do this remotely for sure or not.

Quote:
Good luck!
I need ALL THE LUCK I can get!!
__________________
audit

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.