03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Blackberry Will not Activate - BES 4.1, SMB2003 SP2, GFI Mail Essentials
Please Login to Remove!
Just wanted to share my discoveries with you all. Over the last 2 weeks I have been going through a tough time of rebuilding my main server after a software uninstall took out the exchange server. I have searched high and low for solutions and really never found anything that applied to my situation directly.
Here is my setup.
-Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange and service pack 2 installed.
-GFI Mail Essentials for Spam filtering. New Sender filter activated to tag the subject with [NEW SENDER].
-Bes 4.1 Professional running on the same server under the BESAdmin account.
Problem #1: All Blackberries would not activate via wired or wirelessly.
Comments: Verified all preferences and permissions for the BESAdmin user per the directions and forums. All was well. All BES tests checked out. However I noticed that I was receiving the email from RIM into the mailbox and the BES was not grabbing it.
Solution: I noticed that GFI was tagging the subject of the email with "[NEWSENDER] - RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a2 - Message is from an unknown sender" and that the BES would not remove the email from my account. I added "*@*.blackberry.net" to my white list. Problem 1/2 solved......
Problem #2: One account still would not activate. Wired or Wirelessly.
Comments: I noticed that the mailbox name in the BES for the user looked like this: "/o=DOMAINNAME/ou/=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=FIRSTNAME MIDDLEINITIAL LASTNAME"
I also noticed that my other users when added to the bes looked like this: "/o=DOMAINNAME/ou/=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=FIRSTNAME"
IF you havenxxx8217;t spotted the problem it seems that the BES is not crazy about spaces in the last section after /cn=
Solution: ** Read all the way through before starting **
1) In Active Directory, open properties for the problem user. Take note of their email address. Close the user properties window.
2) Right click on the problem user in the user list of Active Directory. The drop down menu should have "Exchange Tasks" in it. Choose that.
3) The Exchange Task Wizard will appear. Delete the Mailbox from the account. (Donxxx8217;t worry it will not actually delete the mailbox).
4) Delete the user account itself from Active Directory.
5) Make a new user with the same login and information, however skip the create mailbox step.
6) Open Exchange System Manger
7) Navigate to Domain/Servers/"Server Name"/First Storage Group/Mailbox Store/Mailboxes" Right click on Mailboxes and "Run Cleanup Agent" This will identify the mailboxes that are not attached to user accounts with a red dot and an x through the red dot.
8) Find the detached mailbox for the problem user. Right Click on the Mailbox. Choose Reconnect.
9) Connect the mailbox to the new account you created for that problem user.
10) Give the server some time to populate this information.
11) Check that all emails addresses are correct for the user in active directory.
12) Add the user to the BES and Activate.
And lastly make sure that the wireless carrier reall has the client on a BES plan not a BIS plan. Otherwise you will see a partial activation but no more.
Hope this works for you. Worked for me.
Last edited by tylerr : 04-03-2008 at 02:11 PM.