BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Moving Users to 2nd server

Please Login to Remove!

Environment - 2 BES 4.1.4 for Exchange, sharing SQL database. I can move users from server A to server B with no issues. When I move users from server B to server A, I get the following message:

"The status of this server cannot be determined due to the possibility of insufficient permissions. Server may not be running. Do you want to move it anyway?"

I know server A is up and running fine. We have about 75 users on server A with no issues. I only get this error going from server B to server A.

Any help would be appreciated.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Are you doing when logged on as service account?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, it is the BES service account.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I'd assume that it has something to do with permissions. Review it and change if not setup right. Have you tried moving several users or one?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not sure which permissions to check. Everything works perfectly except for moving users off of server B.

I have tried moving single users and multiple users with no luck.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

How many exchange servers you have? Can you add new user from the same exchange server (where the one that fails resides) to BES server A?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

What are the exchange servers 2000/2003 or 2007 ?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

2 Exchange 2003 servers. It doesnt matter which exchange server the user is on, I still get the same error.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Even when adding new user?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can add users without a problem.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarber View Post
I'm not sure which permissions to check. Everything works perfectly except for moving users off of server B.

I have tried moving single users and multiple users with no luck.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...es-thread.html
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Do you use BB manager console from your wkst to do that or directly on the BES logged on as Besadmin?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The Log on locally with local permissions was not set correctly. I think I might need to restart of log off the machine for this to take affect. You think that will cause the issue?

I do all of the work directly on the BES and logged on as the besadmin.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.19
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

It is hard to say until you do that and see. Let us know what fixes it as there might be other people around with the same issue.
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I rebooted the server over the weekend after I corrected the permission issue. I still get this error when moving from server B to server A.
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarber View Post
Environment - 2 BES 4.1.4 for Exchange, sharing SQL database. I can move users from server A to server B with no issues. When I move users from server B to server A, I get the following message:

"The status of this server cannot be determined due to the possibility of insufficient permissions. Server may not be running. Do you want to move it anyway?"

I know server A is up and running fine. We have about 75 users on server A with no issues. I only get this error going from server B to server A.

Any help would be appreciated.

why do you have two BES and one DB?
i prosume they both have the same SRP id and SRP auth key? (otherwise you wouldn't be able to move users without re-activating them again)
and if you do have the same SRP and using the same DB, why would you want to move the users in the first place??
__________________
support engineer for Exchange 2000/2003/2007 and BES 4.0/4.1/5.0

http://www.pocketmailsupport.com
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8800
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapasaca View Post
why do you have two BES and one DB?
i prosume they both have the same SRP id and SRP auth key? (otherwise you wouldn't be able to move users without re-activating them again)
and if you do have the same SRP and using the same DB, why would you want to move the users in the first place??
Actually, people normally have two BES's and one DB for disaster recovery/continuity plans. Each has it's own SRP keys and ID, and they are kept in the database. Moving users between BlackBerry Servers then becomes a simple matter of right-clicking and selecting "move users". If you then combine this with database replication, you can switch databases in case of an outage, and still move users with minimal downtime.

As to why move users, you can also use it for load balancing between servers.
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
Actually, people normally have two BES's and one DB for disaster recovery/continuity plans. Each has it's own SRP keys and ID, and they are kept in the database. Moving users between BlackBerry Servers then becomes a simple matter of right-clicking and selecting "move users". If you then combine this with database replication, you can switch databases in case of an outage, and still move users with minimal downtime.

As to why move users, you can also use it for load balancing between servers.
hmmm, i disagree, they can't both have their own SRP if you want it to work the way you want.
you can however have a second BES (keep it down until the other server crashes) with the same SRP and using the same DB (keep it on a seperate server from both BES' .

A bb can only hold one SRP id for activation and will not seamlessly keep working when the other BES with another SRP is brought up.

just my two cents
__________________
support engineer for Exchange 2000/2003/2007 and BES 4.0/4.1/5.0

http://www.pocketmailsupport.com
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8800
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapasaca View Post
hmmm, i disagree, they can't both have their own SRP if you want it to work the way you want.
you can however have a second BES (keep it down until the other server crashes) with the same SRP and using the same DB (keep it on a seperate server from both BES' .

A bb can only hold one SRP id for activation and will not seamlessly keep working when the other BES with another SRP is brought up.

just my two cents
Nope, works as I stated above. In fact, I have installed this on a couple of customer sites (and our own). Moving users between BlackBerry Servers requires intervention on the part of the local admin, but should be fairly seamless, apart from the time required to send out/receive new service books.
Offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We have two BES with different SRP. Both servers connect to one SQL database. Dunks is correct.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.