I have recently been notified that all of my users on a BlackBerry Professional server are unable to send or receive email messages. I am able to send PIN messages from the BlackBerry Manager. We are currently running this with Microsoft Exchange.
I first tried to send the service books to the device then pull the battery out while the device was turned on. (This was before I knew it was affecting everybody)
Then I tried to remove a user from the server and re-add them back. When trying to re-add them back to the server it showed that we had exceeded the license number. In order to add them back to the server we went into the database and removed them by hand. When I tried to run the enterprise activation on that users phone it would just sit at the activation screen. I ended up having to send the user on their way because the whole process was taking too long.
My carrier told me to try those first steps then call them back if that did not work. However, calling them back today they said that they only support the devices not the server. :(
We had this issue one time in the past and I ended up completely uninstalling the server and starting over fresh. (Which I do not think is the best way to solve this issue)
We currently have 6 users on the server. These users also do not have access to a computer or Outlook so their user account passwords do not expire and they cannot change them. All they know is that they can receive emails on their phone.
My BESAdmin account is a member of the Domain Users only and it has an Exchange mailbox.
Since only selected groups of users in our company get BlackBerry devices. We have only setup the SendAs permissions for specific OU's in Active Directory. I have confirmed that the BESAdmin user still has SendAs permissions on each of the OU's that have users with BlackBerry devices.
The only changes we have made in the network is adding a Sophos email scanning appliance to the network. However, emails to the BlackBerry devices seemed to be going through after we installed that device. Our Exchange server is a physical server in our office and then our BlackBerry Professional server is a virtual VMware ESX server(also in our office) and they are both connected via a GB network switch.
If I remember correctly it showed a capital EDGE. It was sending and receiving data on the phone at my desk(Which is where I initially setup the phones before giving the employees their phones) while trying to re-activate the phone.
To determine if the SRP is connected open the Blackberry Manager and click on your blackberry server in the left pane. Then click the "Server Configuration" tab and the third line up from the bottom says "SRP Status:".
BES System Administrator -
1 BES(22.214.171.124) with 71 Users
Windows Server 2003 SP2
I have the BlackBerry Professional software and do not see SRP Status. On the left if I click Edit Server Properties I can see the SRP host and port but no status. I am not sure if this is different between the Enterprise and the Professional versions.
If I stop the server then open up the Windows Event Viewer and select application. Then start the server again I do see a record saying that the SRP connection is established.
My boss is telling me that the sophos appliance was installed before we were having issues.
I have not done anything with regenerating the encryption keys yet.
We have noticed that it around the time we started having issues we installed the following Windows Updates:
Security Update for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (KB948110)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 (KB953838)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows Server 2003 (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 (KB948109)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951698)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB952954)
This problem is solved. Below are the steps we took to fix my issue:
1. Stopped all BlackBerry services through the services.msc
2. Uninstalled Exchange Management tools
3. Uninstalled Microsoft Office (Which included Outlook for some reason) <- Don't know why this was installed
4. Renamed any MAPI32.dll files we had to anything but MAPI32.dll (I choose the name: MAPI32.dll-old)
5. Deleted the profiles folder in the registry path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ <-- This was while I was logged in as my besadmin account
6. Re-installed Exchange Management tools
7. Restarted the server
That seemed to fix the issue
*I take no responsibility if you accidentally delete the wrong registry data.