So far RIM hasn't been any help so curious if anybody might have a BES lab using a proxy setup to access the internet to try and duplicate what I've found. I have tested in two production and one lab environment and have duplicated the issue. Would rather somebody use a lab because the fix does require recycling of the MDS service.
-Only using Blackberry Browser
-MDS is pointing to a proxy server(Bluecoat) for handhelds to access internet.
-Tested with BES 4.1.4 to 4.1.6.
What I have found is that if somebody uses their Blackberry Browser and goes to a website that prompts for credentials(username, domain, password) after that not all web images will load on any website. Internal or external.
Using the Blackberry browser, first go to a website with lots of images. MSN.com
works as a test.
Next go to something like http://exchangeserver/exchange
which will give you a prompt. Just cancel, then try going back to MSN.com
and do a Refresh or Clear your cache and try going back to the website. See if all images load still.
If you actually get the problem, recycling the MDS service will fix the issue. The problem is not server wide, but account specific to those that visit a website with credentials. Wiping the handheld does not even fix the issue.
What I have found is that if I have MDS setup to use a proxy, go to a website to prompt credentials, go to an internal website, images will not load on the internal website.
Now if I remove the proxy setting from MDS, go to a website to prompt credentials, go to an internal website images will load just fine. Obviously I tested this with internal websites only because the second test could not test internet websites.
It is a weird one. Two of the production systems are on different networks. And lab and two production environments are all using their own SQL databases.
The only thing I can come up with is that:
#1) Issue is BES related when setup to use a proxy. If others can test same scenario and not duplicate, probably not the issue.
#2) Issue is proxy server related. But doesn't make sense because I am using an internal IP when going to the internal website. This should bypass the proxy and go direct to the website.