12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jax, FL
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Moving BES to New Server via Symantec Backup Exec...
Please Login to Remove!
We have been using Symantec Backup Exec System State Recovery for a few years now...We have had 100% success rate with taking an image of a server, say of a Dell 6650 , and blowing it down to another make of server, say an HP DL380 using the "restore anywhere" feature.
We have also used this to virtualize machines in the past as well.
We are now looking at moving our physical BES server to our VMWare ESX environment. We have looked into the knife edge cutover process, however I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience/advice on our current plan...
1. Stop all BES related services on Physical BES server
2. Take an image with SBESSR
3. Power down physical BES server
4. Build VM in ESX Environment with matching drive configuration
5. Blow SBESSR image down to VM
6. Give VM same IP as the physical server
7. Bring Virtual BES server online
This way, we can monitor our performance in the virtual environment, and if it is less than acceptable, our failback "should" be as simple as powering off the VM, and powering up the old physical box cause we are leaving it untouched.
Anything I am missing?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
Last edited by twenty8eight : 12-19-2008 at 08:32 AM.