BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steps for Update

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Admins,

Got a question for you all. I'm going to update my BES from 4.1.4 to 4.1.6. Is there a certain order of step that must be done to ensure the upgrade goes fine?

Is this the correct order?
1. Backup DB
2. Stop all BES services
3. Install 4.1.6 software (using bes service account)
4. Reboot
5. Install MR (using bes service account)
6. Reboot

Thanks for your input.

Rich
Offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: PRIV
OS: 5.1.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 7,234
Post Thanks: 372
Thanked 380 Times in 350 Posts
Default

3 stop SNMP services
4 install SP6 (using bes service account)
5 dont reboot
6 install MR3 (using bes service account)
7 dont reboot
8 do PDF fix if you want (using bes service account)
9 now reboot.
10 backup DB everynight.
__________________
unlock your phone here http://freemyblackberry.com/
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 12 running sweet for my DTEK60
Offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
3 stop SNMP services
4 install SP6 (using bes service account)
5 dont reboot
6 install MR3 (using bes service account)
7 dont reboot
8 do PDF fix if you want (using bes service account)
9 now reboot.
10 backup DB everynight.
Thanks for the steps. Yeah, I need to install that PDF fix too. Seems fairly simple.
Offline  
Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 179
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you use Roles, note which level the user is at and remove them before the upgrade. Re-add later after they have upgraded the BB Manager on their PC.

Users assigned a Role, that have left their Blackberry Manager console running on their PC, will maintain an active connection to the SQL database
Offline  
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->
 
stuwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: U to the K
Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!
Posts: 1,273
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
If you use Roles, note which level the user is at and remove them before the upgrade. Re-add later after they have upgraded the BB Manager on their PC.

Users assigned a Role, that have left their Blackberry Manager console running on their PC, will maintain an active connection to the SQL database
Can't you just kill their session from the BES? I have done that before when I needed people disconnected, but admit I don't know the possible consequences of that. I know they reconnect evetually but it was long enough to reboot or patch or whatever I was doing.
__________________
I was a BES and Exchange admin once.
Then my world turned Blue.
Offline  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
If you use Roles, note which level the user is at and remove them before the upgrade. Re-add later after they have upgraded the BB Manager on their PC.

Users assigned a Role, that have left their Blackberry Manager console running on their PC, will maintain an active connection to the SQL database
Interesting.....I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.
Offline  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 179
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite View Post
Can't you just kill their session from the BES? I have done that before when I needed people disconnected, but admit I don't know the possible consequences of that. I know they reconnect evetually but it was long enough to reboot or patch or whatever I was doing.
Removing the Role is the way I was told to do it by T-Support. They also told me that the Role users need to update their BB Manager console when upgrading to another Service Pack, so removing the user's Role access until they upgrade that is a good way to enforce compliance.

Let me know if you hear differently though because its getting to be a burden updating 20 BES and 12 Role users spread across the world.
Offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->
 
stuwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: U to the K
Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!
Posts: 1,273
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Removing the Role is the way I was told to do it by T-Support. They also told me that the Role users need to update their BB Manager console when upgrading to another Service Pack, so removing the user's Role access until they upgrade that is a good way to enforce compliance.

Let me know if you hear differently though because its getting to be a burden updating 20 BES and 12 Role users spread across the world.
Hmm interesting to hear that is from TS. We went straight to 4.1 MR3 from 4.0 so I haven't applied an SP or MR to 4.1 yet, so I guess I better follow the leader on that one when I get round to it. Like you say though it's a major hassle, I have most Level1 and 2 guys using BBM so while they have to upgrade, messing with their roles won't be fun....
__________________
I was a BES and Exchange admin once.
Then my world turned Blue.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

New lot of 2pcs ZIP-20 Sockets - 20-pin Zigzag inline package - Amiga 3000
$1.0
New lot of 2pcs ZIP-20 Sockets - 20-pin Zigzag inline package - Amiga 3000 pictureOriginal Noches Latinas UR3 Amiga Parala La Palma Vagina Mastrubator + Cream Gif
$29.99
Original Noches Latinas UR3 Amiga Parala La Palma Vagina Mastrubator + Cream Gif picture1x MC68882FN25A MOTOROLA Mac Amiga HCMOS Coprocessor FPU 25MHz 32bit PLCC68 NEW
$32.2
1x MC68882FN25A MOTOROLA Mac Amiga HCMOS Coprocessor FPU 25MHz 32bit PLCC68 NEW pictureCSG/AMIGA 391077-01 PLCC
$14.2
CSG/AMIGA 391077-01 PLCC pictureAmiga Vinyl Banner Sign Garage WorkShop Many Size Logo Dealer
$22.99
Amiga Vinyl Banner Sign Garage WorkShop Many Size  Logo Dealer picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.