Ok, just to start off - I am a BES admin and looking for some advice on a BES migration that I need to perform in the next few months (to be tested in test environment first of course).
I have reviewed the knife edge migration procedure, but I'm just wondering if there might be a better alternate method (the server name will change, so I understand that may require an extra step)
The current environment (working with no issues)
- single temporary BES 4.1.6 with MSDE
- single temporary Exchange 2007 server
- both servers above (and the besadmin account) are in 'child.domain.com' AD domain
- all user accounts and mailboxes are in 'domain.com' AD domain
- two BES 4.1.6 (2 SRPs) with a single configuration DB on a SQL cluster
- fully clustered/NLB'd Exchange 2007 environment
- all servers above in 'domain.com' AD domain, including besadmin service account
What I was thinking:
- Move config DB from MSDE to SQL cluster
- move BESAdmin service account to 'domain.com' AD domain (is this required? the current server will be decomissioned)
- Perform all Exchange changes/migrations
- Setup new BES (2nd SRP) pointing to DB moved above
- Move all users across to 2nd BES
- Decommission original BES and build second permanent BES in it's place
Has anyone performed anything similar to this before?
Is there a better way?
Anything I should watch out for?