BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Unable to start BES after exmerge

Please Login to Remove!

A client's SBS 2003 server crashed the other night, and the Exchange databases became corrupted (messages piling up in the Local Delivery queue, event ID 327, etc.) To resolve that problem, I performed the following steps:

1) Stopped the BES services
2) Ran EXMERGE on all mailboxes to export to PST
3) Shut down the Exchange Information Store
4) Renamed the Exchange databases
5) Restarted the Exchange Information Store to create blank databases
6) Sent an email to everyone in the Global Address Book to initialize mailboxes
7) Ran EXMERGE on all mailboxes to import the PST files
8) Attempted to start the BES services

All BES services except the "Blackberry Server myServer" service started. The server service comes back with "Windows could not start the Blackberry Server myServer on Local Computer. For more info....refer to service-specific error code 0."

Windows Events
Application log: Event ID 10000, "Unable to get server routing info." The System log: Event ID 7024, "The Blackberry server myServer service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0)."

The icon for the server in Blackberry Enterprise Server Management is yellow. If I go to Blackberry Server Properties, all SRP settings are missing, and the server is listed in an Unknown State.

I'm fairly certain that BES is version 3.6. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul
Offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 6,559
Post Thanks: 256
Thanked 260 Times in 246 Posts
Default

3.6 is no longer supported by RIM.

Since you have redone so much on exchange sounds like the BESAdmin account was affected and exchange permissions are gone. Might have to reinstall from scratch.

If that does not work I would get the upgrade kit to 4.1 for 999.00 USD and you get a free call to help install it.
__________________
irony : many old timer posters have de-evolved into the trolls they once fought
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 10 running sweet for my Z30, Z10 and Q10
Online  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for your reply. I've checked the BESAdmin account, and it still has all of the Exchange permissions. I understand that 3.6 isn't supported any more, but I am still hoping that someone in here might have another suggestion other than reinstalling from scratch. The main reason I don't want to reinstall is that the owner of the company is out of town for a week, and he needs his emails while away. If I reinstall, I don't know how I could set up his BB if he's not at his PC.
Offline  
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Still don't have a resolution. I ended up opening a support ticket with RIM, but we haven't made any real progress. Their explanation was that the exmerge utility didn't copy the hidden Blackberry folders in each user's mailbox, and the database became corrupt as well. The server was missing some important registry keys too.

They had me perform a clean uninstall (kb04096), and then a fresh install. The database creation failed, so they had me create a new MSDE instance and install again. The install completed without error, but none of the services were created, and none of the .exe files were created either.

Assuming the BESadmin account was missing permissions, they had me create a new account and assign permissions (kb02276). After logging into the new account, and attempting a new install, the extraction failed with error "unable to extract dll_.ini." A Google search turned up suggestions pertaining to the Windows Installer files.

I ran the "msiexec /unregister" and "msiexec /regserver" commands, but they had no effect. I've given up for the night, but if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.