BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Two Blackberries, Two BES, One Account

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I have a user that travels extensively in the UK, and has a Blackberry from a carrier over there and is activated on our UK BES. He's recently started traveling North America and has picked up a Blackberry from a local carrier, and wants it activated on the BES without deactivating the UK one.

I was thinking about setting his new blackberry up on the NA BES and leaving the other as is, but I'm not sure if that would work or not, as I'm not very experienced dealing the BES.

As Background were running a Domino environment, the two BES servers and users mail are all located in different domino domains.
Offline  
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
b52junebug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Model: Many
OS: varied
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..
Posts: 268
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Not an option. He would be better off to have a BB that he can use there and here. You can only have one email account tied to one BES and vice versa.
__________________
Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. It is what you were put on earth to do.
Offline  
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 236
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnafuNF View Post
Hi

I have a user that travels extensively in the UK, and has a Blackberry from a carrier over there and is activated on our UK BES. He's recently started traveling North America and has picked up a Blackberry from a local carrier, and wants it activated on the BES without deactivating the UK one.

I was thinking about setting his new blackberry up on the NA BES and leaving the other as is, but I'm not sure if that would work or not, as I'm not very experienced dealing the BES.

As Background were running a Domino environment, the two BES servers and users mail are all located in different domino domains.
Would it not be simpler if he just swapped sims?

I am presuming this user wants to use the N. American BlackBerry to possibly save on roaming costs (sounds to me like the most logical reason).

If my presumption is correct, the simplest thing would be to have his BlackBerry unlocked, and when he is in N. America, simply put in the N. American GSM chip into the UK BlackBerry. All data services will work as normal (except that he wont pay roaming data charges). As regards to having his voice calls available on the UK sim when roaming, he can put his UK sim into any other GSM (American bands) handset and he can use it....

I think the above is the easiest solution,,,
Offline  
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: Passp
OS: 10.2.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 6,757
Post Thanks: 274
Thanked 296 Times in 280 Posts
Default

We have a few UK people that do the SIM swap or they get a world plan.
knot sure if your carrier has it.
__________________
irony : many old timer posters have de-evolved into the trolls they once fought
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 10 running sweet for my Passport, Z30, Z10 and Q10
Online  
Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Technically it can be done as long as the UK and NA BES do not use the same BESMgmt database.
__________________
Exchange 2007/BES 5.0.2 MR2
Offline  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voda_black View Post
Would it not be simpler if he just swapped sims?

I am presuming this user wants to use the N. American BlackBerry to possibly save on roaming costs (sounds to me like the most logical reason).

If my presumption is correct, the simplest thing would be to have his BlackBerry unlocked, and when he is in N. America, simply put in the N. American GSM chip into the UK BlackBerry. All data services will work as normal (except that he wont pay roaming data charges). As regards to having his voice calls available on the UK sim when roaming, he can put his UK sim into any other GSM (American bands) handset and he can use it....

I think the above is the easiest solution,,,
I already have given him this idea, but so far no response.

Quote:
Technically it can be done as long as the UK and NA BES do not use the same BESMgmt database.
I had sometime to think about this last night, and I'm wondering if the user is set-up on two BES, how will the blackberry determine which server it's being activated on?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.