Originally Posted by dmbascfan
If this has already been discussed in another thread, my apologies...
I'm planning on doing a cutover for BES 5.0. Basically, I'll stand up two new VM's and create a new config DB. Then, using the Transport utility, I'll migrate the users over. Here are my questions:
1. I was reading through the upgrade DOC and it mentions needing a new SRP but mentions nothing about CAL's. Wont I need new CALs on the two new BES so I can move users over?
2. Has anyone used the Transport Utility and if so, what was your experience.
3. For the HA, is that the MDS pool that I keep reading about?
1) I think older CALs will work on BES 5.0
2) No idea, sorry
3) HA and MDS are totally separate beasts. Basically, you install one BES with BAS normally. Then, the secondary BES keeps checking up on the primary using the HA service (15min default, I think). If it sees that the primary's HA service is gone/stopped/whatever, it spools up it's services using the info in the shared db on the remote SQL server.