Yeah that KB article leaves a lot to be desired... I would add the following between steps 4 and 5:
Make a Backup Copy of the following:
HKLM\Software\Research In Motion
HKCU\Software\Research In Motion
%ProgramFiles%\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server - (excluding the Logs file)
%CommonProgramFiles%\Research In Motion
Rename %ProgramFiles%\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\yyyymmdd
(latest log folder) to say yyyymmdd.preservicepack. Then when the BES Services start for the first time post the SP installation a clean log file folder will be created, and it will make analysing logs a whole lot easier.
Optional: Retrieve the MDS-IS Admin & Publisher passwords (if they're not known) from the [BESmdss].[SERVER] table as these will be required during the service pack install if MDS-IS is being used.
That's my 5c (NZ) worth
Originally Posted by noname
Article Title: Best practices for installing service packs for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software
Article Number: KB04882
Link: View Document
Complete the following tasks to install service packs for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software:
1. Download the latest service pack for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software.
2. Confirm and back up configuration settings and client access licenses (CALs).
3. Back up the BlackBerry Configuration Database.
4. Stop BlackBerry Enterprise Server services and record logon account information.
5. Install the service pack.