BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 70
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Problem with BES Manager connecting to SQL Database

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I really did it now. My BES is not working after installing SP7 MR3, or rather my users cannot send and receive.

Windows 2003 server w/SP3
BES 4.0 for Exchange
Exchange 2003 w/SP2

My BES server was running at SP6, MR4. I decided to upgrade to SP7 MR3 after reading about some of the fixes. Everything worked great. Installed SP7, MR1 and MR2. BES worked after each install.

I installed MR3 and the BES Manager can no longer connect to the database. All the services start and are running. re: images below.

The BB Handheld Configuration Tool does seem to work. At least it is able to connect to the database (I'm assuming. I run it and no errors). It does list all the BB's on my server.

Any help would be appreciated.

I run the BB Manager.






Once the MMC is open, I check the properties for my BES.


I run the BB Server Config and test the connection and it passes.


I check to see that my SQL is running.




I check to see that all my BB services are running.


What else should I be checking?

Thanks.
Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a : 09-01-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,632
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Look in your BES Server logs ... specifically the ALRT and MNGR logs
Offline  
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 70
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So it turns out that somehow, installing SP7 MR3 corrupted the besadmin user profile on the bes server. Thought I should at least post my resolution for anyone that has a similar experience. Just another solution for them to try.

The way we figured this out, and by we, I mean me and my pay per incident support tech Ed from RIM, who after 4 hours on the phone was scratching our heads as to what was going on, was to create a new besadmin user, assign all the rights, change all the service logins to this new user and create a new mapi profile and then create a new user profile on the server. And it worked.

We then went back and deleted the original user profile that was stored on the server and re created it and then changed all the services and the mapi profile back to it and it worked.

Maybe there was a problem with the original profile and MR3 broke it or, maybe MR3 just broke it. There's really no way of knowing at this point. The tech did get a copy of all the logs from that day from the LOGS folder under the BES folder, plus all the application and system logs for the server. He didn't see anything in there to indicate an issue with the install or the original besadmin user.

So anyways, I was able to get my BES up and running again.

Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a : 09-04-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.