BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Model: 8800g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding BES 5.0

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I have a number of questions surrounding BES 5.0 which I hope someone will be able to advise on. We are currently running BES 4.1 on an old HP server running Server 2003 & would like to migrate to a new server platform and BES 5.0.

Q1. Can BES 5.0 run on Server 2008R2? I have looked at the official RIM system requirements and R2 isn’t mentioned. Has anyone managed to get BES working on R2? I know it’s not advisable to run BES on a non-supported OS but was just looking at my options. Is BES 5.0 supported on Server 2008 x64?

Q2. Ideally I would like to install BES 5.0 on a new server and migrate all users from 4.1 to 5.0 in one go. Is this possible; are there any tools available to help with this? Is it Ok to run the two servers in parallel for a short period of time?

Q3. Our current BES has the database stored locally (MSDE). With the new build I would like to store the database remotely on our SQL cluster. Once again is this possible and are there tools to help with this? If I can run the two servers in parallel and can migrate the users from 4.1 to 5.0 would the new database on the SQL cluster simply be updated as I moved users over or can I export the existing database and import into the new location?

I hope this all makes sense.
Thanks in advance!
Andrew
Offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wireless Sith Lord
 
DarthBBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Online
Model: iOS 6
Carrier: Verizon x2
Posts: 1,458
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

What you're asking isnt that uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes76 View Post
Hi,
I have a number of questions surrounding BES 5.0 which I hope someone will be able to advise on. We are currently running BES 4.1 on an old HP server running Server 2003 & would like to migrate to a new server platform and BES 5.0.

Q1. Can BES 5.0 run on Server 2008R2? I have looked at the official RIM system requirements and R2 isn’t mentioned. Has anyone managed to get BES working on R2? I know it’s not advisable to run BES on a non-supported OS but was just looking at my options. Is BES 5.0 supported on Server 2008 x64?
KB20493

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes76 View Post
Q2. Ideally I would like to install BES 5.0 on a new server and migrate all users from 4.1 to 5.0 in one go. Is this possible; are there any tools available to help with this? Is it Ok to run the two servers in parallel for a short period of time?
Be sure to follow the BES 5.0 installation directions. It also contains quality info on running both servers and moving users seamlessly.
BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes76 View Post
Q3. Our current BES has the database stored locally (MSDE). With the new build I would like to store the database remotely on our SQL cluster. Once again is this possible and are there tools to help with this? If I can run the two servers in parallel and can migrate the users from 4.1 to 5.0 would the new database on the SQL cluster simply be updated as I moved users over or can I export the existing database and import into the new location?
Again, read your BES 5.0.x documentation.
__________________
DarthBBerry
6-Time BlackBerry World Champion (2007-2012)
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist v5.0
BlackBerry® Certified System Administrator v5.0
Offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Model: 8800g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your help DarthBerry, will take a look at your seggestions.

Andrew
Offline  




Copyright © 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.