A BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator can change the password for a BlackBerry smartphone by sending an IT policy to the BlackBerry smartphone. When the BlackBerry smartphone user accepts the IT policy, the new password becomes effective.
To change the password of a BlackBerry smartphone from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, perform the following:
- Open the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management console.
- Right-click the BlackBerry smartphone user account that requires a password change.
- Click IT Admin > Set Password and Lock.
- In the Set Password and Lock window, type the new password into the New Password and New Password Again fields.
- Click OK. Note: It takes approximately 30 minutes for the new IT policy to be sent to the BlackBerry smartphone.
- When the BlackBerry smartphone receives the IT policy, the following message is displayed: New IT Policy Changed Over The Air. Would you like to accept?
- Click OK. The BlackBerry smartphone user can now use the new password on the BlackBerry smartphone.
For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 and earlier with Content Protection turned on, BlackBerry smartphone users will be prompted to type the current password before accepting a new password. If BlackBerry smartphone users do not know the current password, BlackBerry smartphone users will not be able to accept the new password, and will not have access to data on the BlackBerry smartphone. At this point, BlackBerry smartphone users can type the password incorrectly 10 times, which will erase all data, including the current password. Additional Information
The data from the BlackBerry smartphone that is wirelessly backed up on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server does not include content protection key store passwords.
If data is deleted from the current BlackBerry smartphone or a new BlackBerry smartphone is activated against the same account, the data may be retrieved from the wireless backup. Source
Article Title: How to change the password of a BlackBerry smartphone from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Article Number: KB03258