Whenever we activate a new BB 9700 on our server, PIM sync does not start and we get this message instead:
Application downloads or admin changes require device to reboot for approx 2 minutes. |
Device inoperable for voice, data and 911 while rebooting. Notice 1 of 1.
Automatic reboot in <x> minutes if no selection made.
Then when we click on the [REBOOT NOW] button, it just hangs forever.
A battery pull fixes this though, PIM sync starts once the device is back online.
AFAICR, we never had this problem with older models (8100/8110/8310/8800/8820/8900/9000/9500).
Our carrier has a 188.8.131.526 update (.321 preloaded) which somewhat eases up the process, delaying reboot until PIM sync is done (and with no hang).
A device which has been activated once, then erased, can be re-activated with no extra reboot.
After a factory reset however (javaloader -u resettofactory), reboot request is triggered again.
So obviously, something has changed in the default IT policy on these devices.
This is annoying because:
- it now takes an extra reboot to activate a device
- I've not seen much reports about this, and I'm concerned it could be a very specific local issue
Now what I'd like to know is:
- what was changed exactly in this new policy
- is the new default policy more secure or less secure
- should we adjust our own IT Policy to match that one
- if we do so, will it affect our current users
Please share you experience with these devices on your BES!