BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SBS2008 BESX BIS - Email Service Blocked

Please Login to Remove!

I've just got a Curve 9300 and want to have it sync with my exchange 2007 running on SBS2008.

I've installed BESX fine and activated the phone using the Enterprise activation using a wired connection (EA wasn't an option before I connected it).

I can send/receive emails whilst the phone is still tethered, but once disconnected I always get "Service Blocked" when trying to send.

I understood from the RIM blurb that BESX would work with BIS.

I'm on virgin mobile (uk) which uses the t-mobile network.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It could be the network.
Are you sure the BESX can talk to the RIM NO. Port 3101 outbound must be open.

BESX can work on a BIS plan. However, the carrier could block the data.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OK, I'll check the port.

However I did run the blackberry readiness check on their website and reported everything was ok.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I suggest trying:
- Hard reset (battery pull)
- Remove and re-insert the SIM card
- Try another SIM card

Can you send using a BIS address?
When you try to send an email...what does the "Send Using" show?
What message services do you have on the BlackBerry? (Options -> Advanced Options -> Default services)
What is the Desktop service book status? (Options -> advanced options -> Desktop CMIME) Do you see a checkmark next to Desktop CMIME?
If you open Desktop CMIME what is the UID field? Sxxxxxx aka. the BES SRP ID
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinCline View Post
I suggest trying:
- Hard reset (battery pull)
- Remove and re-insert the SIM card
- Try another SIM card

Can you send using a BIS address?
When you try to send an email...what does the "Send Using" show?
What message services do you have on the BlackBerry? (Options -> Advanced Options -> Default services)
What is the Desktop service book status? (Options -> advanced options -> Desktop CMIME) Do you see a checkmark next to Desktop CMIME?
If you open Desktop CMIME what is the UID field? Sxxxxxx aka. the BES SRP ID
hard reset - done - didn't work
re-insert sim - done - didn't work
need to get another sim

send using bis -YES - that works fine
Send using - "Desktop (Secure)"
Defaults services: Calendar(cical)/Contact List(SYNC)/Messaging (cmime) are all set to "Desktop"
Do you see a checkmark next to Desktop CMIME? - YES
UID: Is it ok to publish this publicly?
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
It could be the network.
Are you sure the BESX can talk to the RIM NO. Port 3101 outbound must be open.

BESX can work on a BIS plan. However, the carrier could block the data.
I've open 3101 and it seemes ok and when I run the "Test network connection" on the BB Server configuration tool it works fine...


Attempting to connect to :
gb.srp.blackberry.com (193.109.81.33), port 3101
Successful
Attempting to connect to :
gb.srp.blackberry.com (93.186.25.33), port 3101
Successful
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No worries about the SRP ID. As long as there is an SRP listed and not an email address, you're fine.

Here is a test to rule out a problem with the BES service account and permissions.

On a work station, setup Outlook with the BES service account via Exchange. Try to send an email on behalf of the user. (Create a new message, click on message options, click Show From). Does the email send?

If the message sends, the issue appears to be with carrier/RIM network.

You are right, BlackBerry Express does not require a special data plan however, I've seen cases where the HOME BES service class is not added or missing from an end-users account. I don't know a way for the end-user to see this.

The real test will be to use a SIM card which you know is capabale of sending BES data.
FYI - Using someone's SIM card for this test will have no impact on either account as long as you just insert and test sending email or browsing.

You may need to contact RIM through your carrier or call them directly +1(877)255-2377 (NA) but that may cost you $50 USD.

Last edited by KalvinCline : 10-15-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinCline View Post
No worries about the SRP ID. As long as there is an SRP listed and not an email address, you're fine.

Here is a test to rule out a problem with the BES service account and permissions.

On a work station, setup Outlook with the BES service account via Exchange. Try to send an email on behalf of the user. (Create a new message, click on message options, click Show From). Does the email send?

If the message sends, the issue appears to be with carrier/RIM network.

You are right, BlackBerry Express does not require a special data plan however, I've seen cases where the HOME BES service class is not added or missing from an end-users account. I don't know a way for the end-user to see this.

The real test will be to use a SIM card which you know is capabale of sending BES data.
FYI - Using someone's SIM card for this test will have no impact on either account as long as you just insert and test sending email or browsing.

You may need to contact RIM through your carrier or call them directly +1(877)255-2377 (NA) but that may cost you $50 USD.
Do you mean with the besadmin a/c I set up when I installed BESX?

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it.
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes. The Besadmin account.

You should check to make sure the BES services are started and running with the BESAdmin account.
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinCline View Post
Yes. The Besadmin account.

You should check to make sure the BES services are started and running with the BESAdmin account.

All services were started and email sent fine.

hmmmm
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sooo...the BESAdmin account can send email via the Exchange server which means the BES is working.

The issue lies between the BB keyboard and the carrier/RIM network. Perhaps a "Register Now" may work.
Options -> Advanced options -> Host Routing Table - Click Menu key -> Register Now

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the SIM card so try to find a working card to test in the BB but it is possible the carrier needs to re-send your service books.

I don't think the carrier can see the "classes", which is a term used by RIM which they can view in there PIN lookup Tool.
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinCline View Post
Sooo...the BESAdmin account can send email via the Exchange server which means the BES is working.

The issue lies between the BB keyboard and the carrier/RIM network. Perhaps a "Register Now" may work.
Options -> Advanced options -> Host Routing Table - Click Menu key -> Register Now

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the SIM card so try to find a working card to test in the BB but it is possible the carrier needs to re-send your service books.

I don't think the carrier can see the "classes", which is a term used by RIM which they can view in there PIN lookup Tool.
I did the register and that came back fine.

I retried to send an email and unfortunately it still came back as Service Blocked.
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

....down to SIM card or BlackBerry Services.
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: virgin
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinCline View Post
....down to SIM card or BlackBerry Services.
The sim is one that we've had for a while which was used for another phone (sony ericsson).

Does the sim have to be a special one for BB's?


I did call virgin and had a little help from them, but the guy wasn't a BB expert so he said he'd put a call in to BB and they should contact me within 72hrs - I guess that should of been today

Thanks again for your time
Offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: A crappy one aka. Rogers
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Next time, I would ask the carrier if there is a case number and if so is it a RIM case#.

The SIM card used in another phone should be capable of Data especially if BIS is working. No special programming for SIM cards...think of a SIM card as a transponder used for toll highways...it will work in any vegicle as long as the transponder is programmed right. So don't throw away your car untill we can try a working transponder in your car. In your case, try a SIM which works for BES traffic from another BlackBerry.


SIM cards can "go bad" the same way a Toyota break system can just "go bad"...luckily there is not serious danger in a SIM card going bad...and no, it's not too soon!

My point is SIM cards can go bad and it's either your SIM card went bad or your account needs to be reprovisioned and SB's resent.

Have a good weekend!
Offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Posts: 1,362
Post Thanks: 11
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Dont know if this helps or applies here, but:
There was a time in Germany, when t-mobile sold blackberries, which where locked to the BIS network, because in the Device the Address, to BB connects to, was hardcoded to a t-mobile Server.
Those devices were unable to use a BES server even, with a correctly provisioned Sim-Card.

I thought, that with the apperance of the 9000 Series T-mobile stopped this, but, that may vary by country.

Do you have another BB which can talk to your BES server ? Compare the Values which are in the options, advanced options, HRT table to those, which are listed in your 9300.

If there is anything else then the APN "blackberry.net" in the bold printed Entry, then, the 9300 might be unable to use your BES.

Also, examine the logs of your BES, about every minutes there should be something in the logs which relates to the communication with your 9300. If you send a message from the 9300 to someone, this entry will be logged, if it arrives at the BES.

Example from the magt log:
Code:
[40700] (10/17 11:26:29.306):{0x2D94} {someone@domain.com} Receiving packet from device, size=158, TransactionId=1030180723, Tag=239715, content type=CMIME, cmd=0x3
[30112] (10/17 11:26:29.306):{0x2D94} {someone@domain.com} Receiving message from device, RefId=1501594147, Tag=239715, TransactionId=1030180723, Date=17.10.2010 11:26:34
[40292] (10/17 11:26:29.400):{0x2D94} {someone@domain.com} Email message sent for device, Tag=239715
[40279] (10/17 11:26:29.400):{0x2D94} {someone@domain.com} SubmitToRelaySendQ, Tag=239715
[40000] (10/17 11:26:29.400):{0x764} [BIPP] Send status DATA_ACCEPTED, Tag=239715
[40423] (10/17 11:26:31.212):{0x2C58} {someone@domain.com} Queuing new mail through notification (external). EntryId=458536
[40724] (10/17 11:26:31.212):{0x1AE0} {someone@domain.com} Get record key for this MAPI object, EntryId=458536
[40435] (10/17 11:26:31.212):{0x1AE0} {someone@domain.com} Queuing new mail through notification. EntryId=458536. Msgs Pending 0
[40726] (10/17 11:26:31.212):{0x1AE0} {someone@domain.com} CheckForeignRIMProps - New message with RIM properties detected, deleting RIM properties. RefId=1501594147, EntryId=458536

Last edited by nobody7290 : 10-17-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.