I am migrating a client with dozens of bes 4.1.7 server servers spread all over with thousends of users and centralized sql 2000 database to a new servers,5.0.2 and sql2008. Would not like to move current database as it went through too many upgrades (3.6 and up)and prefer to go clean. No all sites have good network links.
Currently client has software configuration setup for each site with model OSs that they currently use and not many apps but that's comming. Currently all device software upgrades were done centrally by local site admins and BB manager 4.1.7. That worked really good but too much work for admins. Managing of all these software configurations is nightmare due to a difereent models, same models different carriers on the same server site, etc.
1. Planning to designate a couple of servers running just BAS/WDM and not install it on any of the BES servers.Suggestions?
2. Install new BES 5.0 servers.
3. Configure all polices/software configurations/pull rules etc as currently in use.
4. Use BB transporter tool in live mode. Slow (upto 20 per batch), but don't think i can use bulk mode and reason is as documantation states due to not using the same BES instance name. And they can not use the same BES instance name as in current servers they are the same as windows server name
Due to a nature of the business limitations are:
1. they can't upgrade wirelesly due to a low data plan and I mean low, using web (they don't want to increase network traffic) or any other way but to do it but locally, centrally or using WDM.
2. Rollout of full blown desktop manager is not an option.
3. Copying large files over the slow link is disallowed during work hours. (So I'd need to install and create again all device softwares on local sites first and create separate device software configurations on BAS server per site etc pretty much the same as now.
So left out with couple of options:
1. Centrally like they are doing it right now using BAS (does not work the same way as BB manager 4.1. so not sure how)
2. WDM and assign it to a users to do that themselves. (tested it but would not be able to invoke software upgrade tab no matter what I do)
3. Ideally both of above as I hope that one dos not exclude other option.
Problem is that neither one of these methods work as they are described for me in BES5.0 docs.
What would you guys if you did this upgrade? Would appreciate if someone can help with "This user has not been assigned software configurations. Application loading is unavailable. " when trying to load software in BAS. Also what happend with Load Software,Nuke device etc. options in 5.0? http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...re/td-p/536013
I think RIM did really lousy (and confusing at the best) job with software configurations, wording of the options (e.g.Create a Blackberry device software configuration vs. Create a software configurations) etc.