I'm not sure what is what is different with our setup, but we seem to be doing this without any known issues. I wasn't even aware it was a problem until I came here and started reading these threads.
Here is our setup.
3.6 (SP2) BES with SQL 2000 in site 1
4.0 (SP3 HF4) BES with SQL 2000 in site 2
The SQL servers are different physical servers with different database names.
1. Add BES 3.6 server to BlackBerry Manager Console of BES 4.0.
- This seems to allow both BES's to be accessed from same management console.
- License count was negative because intial install of BES 4.0 only had one license and when the 3.6 BES was added, it new about all the other devices.
2. Added all CALs from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0
3. Move user from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0 using the BES management Move feature. As long as the handheld clients are running version 4.0 or later for the OS, then you can move the users via the BES management console on the 4.0 box. If they are in coverage during the move, enterprise activation will happen automatically on the handhelds. No user intervention required.