Originally Posted by jjd228
currently have 2 BES's in my domain. version says 184.108.40.206.
i need to build a new server, with new version of the software, then move users from the old servers to this new one.
1) is this process as simple as i just made it sound?
2) can i download the latest version of the software or do i have to buy it?
3) any other things ill need to know? will i need new SRP info? etc.?
this is all new to me
g'day. This is quite easy in theory, you just need your wits about you when switching back and forth. There's a couple of ways to do it but I've listed the one which gives you a roll-back option all the way. Also, I stronly recommend a remote DB to achieve this.
1. get the new server and configure it up with patches/servie packs etc
2. Backup the database
3. stop the existing BES
4. Install the same version of BES on the new server connecting it to the same DB
5. allow the new server to run a bit to ensure no issues
6. backup DB Again
7. upgrade New bes server to you new verison
9. (optional) wipe old BES server and do a clean install of the new BES verison
if you chose to do option 9, you now have a redundant BES infrastructure