As I'm very new with BB, please forgive my stupid basic questions...
I tried to look for the info on BB site, in the KB and technical guides, also on this forum, but I could not find the answer to some critical questions.
Hope somebody here will answer !
The situation is as follows : BES 4.1 installed on a SBS 2003 (I know this is not the best scenario, but anyway..), POP3 connector is enabled as mails are hosted at the ISP. Domain name is test.com
The idea is that 3 users that will receive a BB should get their mails and calendars on their BB.
1) I still don't know how the communication is made from the server to the bb itself.
Do I have to input the phone number of the SIM card in the BES users settings? Or does the server finds the bb thanks to its PIN ?
Or maybe do I have to set up a kind of e-mail address associated with each BB ?
It seems I need to activate the BB through enterprise activation on the BES that will send a mail ... but the BES and the BB do not know each other ! So how could the BB receive the activation mail?
Do I need to connect the BB directly to the server using the USB cable ? I suppose I don't need to, as people are supposed to get their BB activated even if they are off-site (example: the boss got his bb stolen while he was on holidays, and bought a new one ...)
2) Same question, but other way around... How a BB will find the SBS box ? Does it uses the MX address ? In that case, it means I have to host all mails directly on the SBS box, and forget about POP3, but I would like to avoid it for now...
Maybe the BB finds the SBS box by another way ? Please tell me !
3) I've seen port 3101 has to be opened on the firewall, and I suppose needs to be forwarded from the router to the server. OK. Done. But why ? Does it mean that RIM or Blackberry are still in between my server and my users blackberries ?
4) Of course, if anybody has a link to a nice tutorial or some white paper that explains all basic things to know and understand about blackberries, please transmit it !!!
5) Thanks in advance for your help !!