BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default BES 4.1.0.40 - Enterprise activation not completing for one user

Please Login to Remove!

I've had a BES 4.1 server running for several months with no complications. Before yesterday, I had 7 accounts on the server, all of which were working perfectly. Yesterday I added a new users' account and sent him the activation password. He has tried several times to go through the activation procedure, but each time, the process stalls at 11%. He *is* getting emails forwarded to his phone, but other PIM data is not being transferred.

Any ideas? He has gone through the "wipe handheld" process before starting enterprise activation and that didn't seem to help. The server says that he's "Running" and that it's communicating regularly with the device.

Thanks-
Erik
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is it me or are there a lot of these EA problems around lately. Did Microsoft recently patch something that's preventing this from working? Probably not.

We had a similar issue to yours Erik, in our case, we rebooted the BES server and re-started the EA and it did complete.

Hope that helps,
Pete
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJS
Is it me or are there a lot of these EA problems around lately. Did Microsoft recently patch something that's preventing this from working? Probably not.

We had a similar issue to yours Erik, in our case, we rebooted the BES server and re-started the EA and it did complete.

Hope that helps,
Pete
Thanks for the advice, Pete. I'll give that a try. Fortunately I only have 8 people on my server, so they most likely won't notice a midday reboot
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Most people won't notice a reboot regardless on the number of users. Rebooting a BES should take less than 5 minutes. Interruptions can always be blamed on 'the network'.

Is this a new device?

did you clear out the call log prior to activating?
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
Most people won't notice a reboot regardless on the number of users. Rebooting a BES should take less than 5 minutes. Interruptions can always be blamed on 'the network'.

Is this a new device?

did you clear out the call log prior to activating?
I just rebooted the server and then re-sent an activation pw to this user.

Yes - it's a new device, and yes, the call log is cleared in-between each activation attempt as I've instructed him to do a factory reset.

We'll see how this goes...
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well - the activation completed successfully after a server reboot. Weird. Thanks for the advice!
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 71xx
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does it work now?

Also, you should check device Model, and device OS
I have my 8800 and 8100, it has some kind issue.
__________________
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceBerry
Does it work now?

Also, you should check device Model, and device OS
I have my 8800 and 8100, it has some kind issue.
See above...we were posting at the same time. Yep - it's working.
Offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Good evening,

I too have the odd RE-Activation to make, but reading your thread you say

"Yes - it's a new device, and yes, the call log is cleared in-between each activation attempt as I've instructed him to do a factory reset." (sorry but the quote button doesn't appear to work for me)

What is the CALL LOG? and how do you clear it - is this perhaps the message the user gets to their Outlook inbox from rim?

Thanks for any help,

Thanks


Ovoco5
Offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoco5
Good evening,

I too have the odd RE-Activation to make, but reading your thread you say

"Yes - it's a new device, and yes, the call log is cleared in-between each activation attempt as I've instructed him to do a factory reset." (sorry but the quote button doesn't appear to work for me)

What is the CALL LOG? and how do you clear it - is this perhaps the message the user gets to their Outlook inbox from rim?

Thanks for any help,

Thanks

It's the call log on the device. Most people have many many call logs on their BB and they are all saved on the BES. When you activate on the BES they all have to then download to the phone. It can make an activation take hours. Most people have the users clear their call log from within the messages folder on the old device (if possible)...this can take a while if it hasn't been done in a year or two. The call logs listed in the phone app aren't complete and can show clear when there are still many call logs left. Once it's cleared the Activation shouldn't take anywhere near as long.

It's also a great way to free up memory on the device.


Ovoco5
Offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for such a quick reply,

How do you clear the log calls on the BES? and how do you clear them on the hand helds. The users at my work place tend to use the 8700 model, and from phone options I've found Call Loging, but it doesn't appear possible?

Thanks

Ovoco5
Offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoco5
Thanks for such a quick reply,

How do you clear the log calls on the BES? and how do you clear them on the hand helds. The users at my work place tend to use the 8700 model, and from phone options I've found Call Loging, but it doesn't appear possible?

Thanks

Ovoco5
Not sure on the BES side. However, from the handheld go to Messages (email folder), click the wheel and select "view folder", then select phone call logs, highlight a date and click "delete prior." do the same thing for the "missed call" folder. A shortcut is to click alt+p from the messages page and you'll get the same thing. I always do this before a software upgrade so that the activation goes quickly.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.