BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA
Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Changed Windows Server name of BES server

Please Login to Remove!

I changed the Windows 2003 server name of the BES server, and now the Mobile Data Service is not working. Windows Event logs indicate that it is not connecting to the SQL server. I already modified the MDS service startup string and changed the name there, but that doesn't seem to have helped the situation. I am searching through the registry to try to find other references to the server with out much luck.

I have also kept the original A record in DNS, so client connections will still work to the original server name.
Offline  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
udontknowjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 483
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did you try running a repare of the BES from control panel?
Offline  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA
Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No I did not. How does one do that? I cannot find such a utility
Offline  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
udontknowjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 483
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just go to control panel/ Add/remove programs and click on the Blackberry Enterprise server. There is a button there to remove/change it. Although, if you aren't sure how to do it, you may want to call RIM first and ask them about it and have them help you. Doing a repair is pretty standard and there will be down time to your BES.
Offline  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA
Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your assistance, but I believe I resolved the issue.

With the rename of the Windows server, the SQL services needed to be reset.

I went to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\

and ran:

SVRNETCN.exe

Here I noticed that the TCP/IP was not one of the enable Protocols. I enabled it and then restarted the SQL Service.

After that, I went to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC)

I then clicked on the System DSN tab, selected the entry for BESMgmt and then clicked configure.

I noticed that the server name in the following screen still had the old server name. I reset this to the new server name, and proceeded through the next screens with out changing anything. When I tested the Data Connections, the test ended successfully. I then restarted the BB MDS service, and everything is now operating normally.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.