We just restored our Exchange databases from backups after a catastrophic failure due to some dolt (who is now unemployed) removing a disk in a RAID array while it was spinning.
After restoring (rebuilding, re-a lot of things) the databases from backups everything went along fine. Then about 4 hours after the restore was complete and the new Exchange databases were online, we noticed that two users could not send or receive mail from their BlackBerrys.
When I tried to view their properties in the BlackBerry Manager, I received the message stating “Unable to open mailbox for user.”
After removing the users and trying to add them again I get the error “Failed to add John Doe to the BlackBerry Server. Unable to open mailbox for user. The user’s mailbox may have been deleted.”
What’s odd is that these two users can send and receive mail in Outlook via our Exchange server.
Also, I added BESAdmin (the BlackBerry Enterprise Administration user) to the Exchange database and gave it full permissions over the folder that the database presides in. I checked the actual permissions of the priv1 file, and it has the proper permissions. I am at a loss.
Update: We tried running DBClean.exe on a user’s workstation and the processes froze. I need guidance