BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta-you-than-me/)
-   -   4.5.0.77 for 8830 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta-you-than-me/146196-4-5-0-77-8830-a.html)

hcheun 01-13-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheresmyberry (Post 1244991)
I am in desperate need of help on verizon 8830. I upgraded the software to v4.5.0.77 and lost my sounds. I loaded the file media loader cod file and I was able to get my alerts back for sms, calendar, messenger phone, tasks etc. all except for my email! I can't select it to make any changes. Is there any solution to this? I tried the ever handy battery pull but that does nothing for me. anyone that can help me with this problem would be great. I am at a lost on what to do next.

use BBF SEARCH! you'll find the answer! ;-)

Scott Spillers 01-13-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheresmyberry (Post 1244991)
I am in desperate need of help on verizon 8830. I upgraded the software to v4.5.0.77 and lost my sounds. I loaded the file media loader cod file and I was able to get my alerts back for sms, calendar, messenger phone, tasks etc. all except for my email! I can't select it to make any changes. Is there any solution to this? I tried the ever handy battery pull but that does nothing for me. anyone that can help me with this problem would be great. I am at a lost on what to do next.

There is a work around to get your sounds and ringtones back with 4.5.0.77, but the better thing to do would be to upgrade to 4.5.0.101. You can find it with the usually searches. Version 4.5.0.101 uses a bit less memory, seems to be a bit faster and there are no issues with sounds or ringtones.

Scott Spillers 01-13-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbbuser76 (Post 1219373)
Anyone have the net_rim_bb_medialoader_8830.cod file they can send me. I have searched and cannot seem to locate this file. I only have one directory for the 8830-v4.5.0.77_P3.2.0.51\Java on my PC and no files named like net_rim_bb_medialoader*.* exist, i searched my whole PC. I really need this files. Can somone post so i can download.. thanks much
-J

The net_rim_bb_medialoader_8830.cod file is missing from v4.5.0.77. You can install v4.5.0.55 and copy the medialoader file from the .55 directory to the .77 directory, or better yet, just download v4.5.0.101 which is complete.

cnsf 01-26-2009 05:31 PM

Having a big problem with 101. Seems to be a memory leak somewhere as I do a hard reset and get 5mb free. Then, I go to no space free in the course of a few hours. Any thoughts? I have for BB: Facebook, AIM, Yahoo, Windows Messenger, Google Maps, Google Mobile app, a couple of website icons too.

John Clark 01-26-2009 05:43 PM

If you're starting with 5Mb free after a battery pull then you have your device loaded with too much stuff. Do you have ringtones, pictures or any other media? Do you have other themes installed? Consider getting rid of things you don't use. You should have at least 15Mb free after a battery pull in order to run the device smoothly.

cnsf 01-26-2009 05:49 PM

Ive deleted everything I can. I use a 2gb media card that has some pictures and mp3s. I left on BBMaps since it uses the GPS with Verizon now, but like Google Maps too. That's the only redundancy I have. I've got a ton of messages from work and have it set to only keep messages 15 days. not sure what else I can do to reduce memory usage. I actually "use" Voice dialing in the car.

I've followed the "how to free memory" pages, used the mem tools, and still not much luck.

cnsf 01-26-2009 05:50 PM

I heard there is a newer version of 4.5 for the Verizon 8830 but have had absolutely no luck finding it. The Blackberry site and 4.7 won't upgrade my OS with 101 on it.

SteveO86 01-26-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsf (Post 1261068)
I heard there is a newer version of 4.5 for the Verizon 8830 but have had absolutely no luck finding it. The Blackberry site and 4.7 won't upgrade my OS with 101 on it.

Did you delete vendor.xml?

cnsf 01-26-2009 06:04 PM

I thought I did. Could that be my problem? If so, what's the best way to reinstall w/o losing my IT policy and jl_cmder zonking the whole thing?

jabo052 01-26-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1261062)
If you're starting with 5Mb free after a battery pull then you have your device loaded with too much stuff. Do you have ringtones, pictures or any other media? Do you have other themes installed? Consider getting rid of things you don't use. You should have at least 15Mb free after a battery pull in order to run the device smoothly.

I'm on my second Verizon 8830. Neither one of them have ever seen over 16mb free. .77 kept it below 10mb. .101 stays around 12-14mb free.

I loved Viigo, but it was a memory killer. I'm talking about 5-6mb lost per day.

akosnitzky 01-26-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabo052 (Post 1261096)
I'm on my second Verizon 8830. Neither one of them have ever seen over 16mb free. .77 kept it below 10mb. .101 stays around 12-14mb free.

I loved Viigo, but it was a memory killer. I'm talking about 5-6mb lost per day.

I am having your experiences. Unfortunately, the device just doesnt have the needed memory space that you would find with the 8330 or Bold

cnsf 01-26-2009 07:17 PM

How should I reinstall 101 then? Can I do it easily? Everything I found tells me to zonk the whole thing to factory defaults.

jabo052 01-26-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1261158)
I am having your experiences. Unfortunately, the device just doesnt have the needed memory space that you would find with the 8330 or Bold

For whatever reason, I believe that Verizon has a lot to with it too. I think I've seen members(BB Forum) with 8830's(from other carriers) that had 20-25mb free.

I really do like .101. It keeps my free memory much higher, and the whole unit just seems to run better. Of course the free memory probably has a lot to do with it too.

When I had .77, and Viigo, my memory has dropped to 1-2mb free, though it rarely froze on me. :shock:

akosnitzky 01-26-2009 07:27 PM

I am hesitant to make the jump up and will dump the device as soon as the 8930 or 9030 becomes available whenever? or whichever?

jabo052 01-26-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsf (Post 1261160)
How should I reinstall 101 then? Can I do it easily? Everything I found tells me to zonk the whole thing to factory defaults.

I had issues with my first .101 install. All I did was reinstall it on my laptop and then run Desktop Manager and let it do it's thing. On the computer reinstall, Windows Installer asked if I wanted to fix the previous install. I clicked yes. Or you could completely remove it from your computer, then install it again.

When I opened Desktop Manager and connected my BB, it automatically recognized the new OS.

I've never had to do anything special to install a new OS. Just download onto computer, then run DM.

I've alway left everything as is on my BB. Just make sure to do a Backup right before you run App Loader. (y)

cnsf 01-26-2009 07:45 PM

I'll also make sure to delete the vendor.xml file this time before I reinstall. Thanks!

cnsf 02-09-2009 04:11 PM

Did the reinstall, removed vendor.xml, used crackmem - got up to 7mb free after boot. After about a day, the memory goes back down to 1mb free. Sometimes it still goes back down to 0 free. Seems like there is a memory leak somewhere.

Here are my apps:
4.5.0.101
Blackberry Maps
Google Maps
Facebook
Yahoo IM
Windows IM
AOL IM
google mobile app
NY Times shortcut
Docs To Go updated with sheet to go.

SteveO86 02-09-2009 04:41 PM

Do you leave those apps running all the time?

pick3222 02-09-2009 04:54 PM

8830 Memory Leak with 4.5.0.101
 
Two suggestions.

1) Bell Mobility officially released 4.5.0.127 for the 8830, so you might try to install that.

2) I have seen several people comment here and on other boards that Docs to Go has a huge memory leak. I don't have that installed on my phone, so I can't speak from personal experience, but since I upgraded to 4.5.0.127 yesterday, my memory seems to have settled after a day at 10.3 M free.

My apps.

BB Maps
Google Maps
AmaZeGPS
Beyond411
BB Messemger
Yahoo IM
BOLT browser
BuzzMe
CB Launcher
CNBC
ESPN Mobile
FreeLight
Google Sync
QuickPull
Mobile Banking
Weatherbug Direct
Weather

cnsf 02-10-2009 08:10 AM

Excellent feedback, thanks. I got the 127 version and after an initial "bricking" flash, I restored the BB using the /nojvm switch and so far, knock wood, it seems to work well. The BB is settling around 4.5MB free. We'll see how it works after 24-48 hours, but 127 seems to be more stable.

I also have corporate email, which may be a reason for the memory filling up, but have it deleting everything over 15 days old...wish that could be 7, but I don't have a choice.

I also haven't reinstalled Google Maps yet.

and, yes, I do leave the IM apps running all the time. everything else I use the menu to close vs. just the back button.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.