09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Recent incoming messages STILL missing after restore
Please Login to Remove!
* On August 16th, I was having problems with not being able to forward attachments, and, as per forum guidance, I deleted my email account on the handheld and set it up again (resent service books, etc.)
* Things worked fine. September 20th, I restarted my phone (after an application update and possibly also a low memory event) and noticed all my received messages between August 16th and September 20th were missing. Sent messages were still there, as were text messages, as well as all received messages before August 16th (going back about 6 months or so).
* Messages are configured to stay "forever" on the handheld. I use Outlook for my email client on my desktop. I do NOT tick the option to leave the messages on my server in Outlook, however I only delete junk email in Outlook, everything else is stored in folders so it does not interfere with the Blackberry.
* Seems it was either a low-memory event or BB glitch that caused the messages to be "lost". Setting up (recreating) the email account on August 16th seems to have saved earlier messages from being lost which is interesting and may suggest a way to safeguard messages from being deleted in the future.
* The strangest part of all is that I tried restoring a recent backup made on September 15th (a week before the messages mysteriously vanished), and the messages did not come back on the handheld.
So basically my two questions are:
1) Why didnít the messages come back after I did the restore?
2) Is there a way to safeguard messages from being deleted in the future in case of a low memory event (aside from trying to prevent low memory events)? Or, put differently, any ideas why the emails before August 16th (the same day I recreated the email account) were protected?
Is it possible that Blackberry used to "store" messages somewhere on their server when they were retrieved on the handheld and have recently stopped doing that?
PS: I've never left the messages on the server in Outlook and despite this have never before (in the two years I've had my phone) experienced any issue with regard to vanishing emails on my handheld.
PPS: My BB is configured to use the IMAP version for my mail server. Seems to be the default, not sure if that could make a difference... I have read that it is "better" to use the IMAP version over POP3.