BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-help/)
-   -   email setup question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-help/264034-email-setup-question.html)

MightyManfred 04-09-2013 02:53 PM

email setup question
 
I've never had a data plan with my Curve, used it for phone and SMS. I have a new job in which it would be good to get email on my phone. If I buy a data plan from my carrier, is there anything with Blackberry I need to do? Do I need some service from them as well or simply set up enhanced gmail in conjunction with my data plan?

Many thanks!

dc/dc 04-09-2013 04:03 PM

Re: email setup question
 
You need a BlackBerry data plan if you wish to continue using a 8320.

aiharkness 04-09-2013 04:06 PM

Re: email setup question
 
As far as the BlackBerry, you add the BlackBerry data service to your account with your cell phone service provider. Afterward service books will be pushed to the device and you can add Internet email accounts using the setup app on the device.

I can't speak to all of your Gmail options and will leave that to others, except to say you won't have any trouble adding an ordinary address. If you are looking for something special then see what others say.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

JULIETIRECHUKWU 04-09-2013 06:49 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Am havin problem setup my email account from my bb curve 8520 what should I do pls help
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

NJBlackBerry 04-09-2013 06:53 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?

JULIETIRECHUKWU 04-09-2013 06:53 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Am having difficulty setting up my email on my bb cuRve 8520 any time I try to setup my yahoo email they keeps telling me updating fail what must I do pls help
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

JULIETIRECHUKWU 04-09-2013 06:57 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Yes I have data plan
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

NJBlackBerry 04-09-2013 07:28 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Do you have a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN on your carrier curve2?

It is not a "regular" or Internet data plan. It is a BlackBerry Data Plan.

What carrier are you using?

JULIETIRECHUKWU 04-09-2013 07:45 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Yes I subscribed my bb and it will expiRe by sunday. I have bb data plan
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

JULIETIRECHUKWU 04-09-2013 07:49 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Curve2 8520
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

MightyManfred 04-09-2013 09:19 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1801971)
You need a BlackBerry data plan if you wish to continue using a 8320.

Your statement makes no sense to me. I've been using my Curve for a while with no BlackBerry data plan.

Do you mean I cannot use a data plan unless it is a BlackBerry data plan? This is what I want to know.

I use a low cost no-name reseller of AT&T minutes. I cannot download anything from the BlackBerry app store since I dumped T-Mobile. When I connect via USB to my PC, the BB site tells me the radio on my phone must be turned on. When I was with T-Mobile (no data plan) I could do this with no problem.

NJBlackBerry 04-10-2013 05:26 AM

Re: email setup question
 
It makes perfect sense. You need a "BlackBerry Data Plan" if you want to download apps from the store, use BBM or get BlackBerry e-mail.

You had that with T-Mobile.

MightyManfred 04-10-2013 06:56 AM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1801991)
It makes perfect sense. You need a "BlackBerry Data Plan" if you want to download apps from the store, use BBM or get BlackBerry e-mail.

You had that with T-Mobile.

I did NOT have any data plan when I was with T-Mobile, yet I was able to connect via wire to my PC and download apps from the BB store.

I am not too interested in any more apps, but I am wanting to know if i need anything from BB in order to check my gmail via my phone network. Seems if I had a data plan from my carrier, I could do that. What would I need from BB?

dc/dc 04-10-2013 07:08 AM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyManfred (Post 1801995)
I did NOT have any data plan when I was with T-Mobile, yet I was able to connect via wire to my PC and download apps from the BB store.

I am not too interested in any more apps, but I am wanting to know if i need anything from BB in order to check my gmail via my phone network. Seems if I had a data plan from my carrier, I could do that. What would I need from BB?

Nothing. Just the BlackBerry data plan from your carrier. You will NOT get that from most cut-rate carriers.

MightyManfred 04-10-2013 07:12 AM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1801996)
Nothing. Just the BlackBerry data plan from your carrier. You will NOT get that from most cut-rate carriers.

Thank you for your reply.

What is it that makes the data plan requirements of a BB unique? Why does it need a BB data plan?

dc/dc 04-10-2013 08:41 AM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyManfred (Post 1801997)
Thank you for your reply.

What is it that makes the data plan requirements of a BB unique? Why does it need a BB data plan?

Why is there air? Why is the sky blue?

The bottom line is: JUST BECAUSE. The older BlackBerry devices were designed to be used with BlackBerry specific data plans in order to access data services via a tunnel to BlackBerry servers. If you don't have a BlackBerry data plan, you will get voice and SMS access only.

NJBlackBerry 04-10-2013 08:46 AM

Re: email setup question
 
The (older) BlackBerrys - not the new Z10 - require a special data plan. Why? Because that's how BlackBerry makes a lot of money. They require a special data plan that they (and the carrier) get to share. It's not the same as other phones.

sienakab 04-11-2013 06:34 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Pls am new here, I was using pearl before with my corporate email account, now I have gotten 9900, and I need to use my corporate email account for my new BB,I have been trying to use tthis same account for my new BB the response is'the account is beem used for another BB pls I need ur help
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

dc/dc 04-12-2013 05:31 AM

Re: email setup question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sienakab (Post 1802066)
Pls am new here, I was using pearl before with my corporate email account, now I have gotten 9900, and I need to use my corporate email account for my new BB,I have been trying to use tthis same account for my new BB the response is'the account is beem used for another BB pls I need ur help
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Do not hijack others' threads. It's rude.

raghu999 04-16-2013 11:15 PM

Re: email setup question
 
Hi....I have a Blackberry 9530 make Verizon while Reliance is my carrier. I have activated BIS and enterprise mail services through Reliance on my SIM. When I`m trying to insert SIM, Mobile is booting with Veizon than there should be display "EDGE" inplace of "edge". I discussed with customer care, they replied BB service has activated. Also I checked same SIM in other device that`s not verizon, its working fine with "EDGE". So kindly guide me to help for my BB-9530 for BIS through Reliance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.