BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
luc-mobile's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brazil
Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro
Posts: 221
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wrong encoding on Subject lines

Please Login to Remove!

I have an OS Curve and my BIS plan gives me 11 mailboxes: an instantaneous one, <>, and 10 mailboxes that are polled every so many minutes. Of course, the instantaneous is great, that's genuine push, but it can't be integrated with my own site domain.

That's never been a problem. I've had, for quite a few years, a mail server and a catch-all system with a powerful script that identifies my most important address in the To: field of any message and sends a copy of the message to my <> address whenever there is a match. That arrangement worked fine for two years.

The problem began a few days or maybe about a month ago. That copy that my script sends to the BB now may reach my phone with the subject line all messed up whenever there are accented characters in the Subject line. Accented characters are very common in my native language. Example:

Subject: Re: Isto é acentuação 8


Subject: =?Windows-1252?B?UmU6IElzdG8g6SBhY2VudHVh5+NvIDg=?=

Interesting that the Subject line reaches my BlackBerry intact the first time. The problem begins AFTER I REPLY TO IT FROM THE BLACKBERRY. People will get my reply and I suppose it looks good, because no one has complained and it does look good on the reply tests I have sent myself. But whenever they reply on my reply (or I reply to my reply when I'm testing), I get the ugly Subject message. Confusing? Let me explain it another way:

- Someone writes to me.
- Message reaches my BlackBerry and my desktop and looks correct on both.
- I reply from my BlackBerry.
- The other person receives my reply. I assume the Subject line still looks correct. It looks OK on my tests.
- I receive the person's reply. The Subject line is ruined.

I tried to be astute: I changed the redirecting script to detect and decipher the Subject line. It actually decodes the line and replaces it with an iso-8859-1 transcription. It didn't work.

Then I noticed this in the replies written on the BlackBerry:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

So I went further: I had the script rewrite the Subject line and replace charset="Windows-1252 with charset="iso-8859-1". Still no go. Apparently, RIM has a diehard predilection for the Windows-1252 charset.

What bugs me even more is that I use Linux. My e-mail client isn't adding that Windows-1252 charset. It could happen on other people's machines, but not on mine. RIM is adding that junk, and their own device can't read the Windows-1252 encoded Subject lines correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestion for me to fix it? I don't think I should have to upgrade the OS. The problem began about 1 month ago, and I've been running OS since February or March.
Ubuntu Linux and Curve 8900.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powerbuilt 648539 Computer Memory Keeper
Powerbuilt 648539 Computer Memory Keeper picture165784 New-No Box, Symbol P360-SR1212100WW Phaser Memory and Cordless Scanner
165784 New-No Box, Symbol P360-SR1212100WW Phaser Memory and Cordless Scanner pictureSMELOV Chair Armrest PadsMouse Wrist Pad and Memory Foam Elbow Pillow Support...
SMELOV Chair Armrest PadsMouse Wrist Pad and Memory Foam Elbow Pillow Support... pictureXerox Memory Writer Wheels - 3
Xerox Memory Writer Wheels - 3 pictureNEW Adept Memory Card 32KB EEPROM # FMCE32 90400-02200 -- BNIB
NEW Adept Memory Card 32KB EEPROM # FMCE32 90400-02200 -- BNIB picture

Copyright © 2004-2016
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.