BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrc
This is the reply I got from google/gmail team (I am about to try it)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

To fix the problem you've encountered, please follow these steps:

1. Delete your existing Gmail POP profile from your Blackberry POP settings.
2. Create a new Gmail POP profile, and do not leave messages on Gmail's server.
3. Log in to your Gmail account at mail.google.com, and click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
4. Open the 'Forwarding and POP' tab, and select 'Disable POP.'
5. Click 'Save Changes.'
6. In the same tab, now select 'Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on.'
7. Click 'Save Changes.'

After following the above steps, please try to download mail onto your Blackberry again. If you still have trouble, please respond to this message, and we'll investigate further.

Sincerely,

The Google Team
I'm skeptical about #2. Sounds like they think your using BIS 1.8 (do not leave mesages on Gmail). Maybe you'll get lucky. Keep us updated.
Offline  
Old 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 8800c
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
I'm skeptical about #2. Sounds like they think your using BIS 1.8 (do not leave mesages on Gmail). Maybe you'll get lucky. Keep us updated.
You are correct I had my doubts about #2 as well - seemed to reflect the old 1.8 model. It does not work on BIS 2.x since we are never given the option to 'delete mails on server' and it is a push email not pop.
I've responded to them. Next time, I'll try before I post

regds
arjun
Offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrc
You are correct I had my doubts about #2 as well - seemed to reflect the old 1.8 model. It does not work on BIS 2.x since we are never given the option to 'delete mails on server' and it is a push email not pop.
I've responded to them. Next time, I'll try before I post

regds
arjun
As we expected.... keep at it.
Offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 07:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i read that and it sounds more like they think BlackBerry is the name of an email client - like Outlook
Offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
i read that and it sounds more like they think BlackBerry is the name of an email client - like Outlook
You right. BIS 2.x talks about instant push email for those providers who support it. If you notice with Yahoo and now Gmail, when you configure them in the BIS interface, there's no need to provide anything beyond address and password. So there's something RIM configures in the BIS for instant push. I'm also sure there's an app that the provider has to talk over a port to the BIS for email notification.

So google hosted domains are not part of this feature (@gmail.com). I think google would have to request RIM to provide push configuration for the hosted domain on their network.
Offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
You right. BIS 2.x talks about instant push email for those providers who support it. If you notice with Yahoo and now Gmail, when you configure them in the BIS interface, there's no need to provide anything beyond address and password. So there's something RIM configures in the BIS for instant push. I'm also sure there's an app that the provider has to talk over a port to the BIS for email notification.

So google hosted domains are not part of this feature (@gmail.com). I think google would have to request RIM to provide push configuration for the hosted domain on their network.
EXACTLY! I wonder if we can somehow manually enter the settings that BIS seems to do automaticaly for GMAIL. That way, we might be able to handle the GOOGLE hosted email problem...
Offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
EXACTLY! I wonder if we can somehow manually enter the settings that BIS seems to do automaticaly for GMAIL. That way, we might be able to handle the GOOGLE hosted email problem...
I don't think we can. I'll bet its a setting only RIM has access to in the BB hosted mailbox on the BIS.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also another interested gmail hosted user that would love to see this work. For the past several months I've been using a filter set that mimics the push of a blackberry so no major biggie if this doesn't work for hosted, although the reconciliation feature would be nice among other things.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo
Also another interested gmail hosted user that would love to see this work. For the past several months I've been using a filter set that mimics the push of a blackberry so no major biggie if this doesn't work for hosted, although the reconciliation feature would be nice among other things.

Also, with the new BIS, you cannot reply as the address it was forwarded from, you must reply from the hand held address...Kind of annoying ....Other than that, I absolutely love using google for my hosted email...
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just out of curiousity, has anyone with the new "gmail push" seen the recent delays that have plagued Yahoo/BIS2? See the other thread if you're interested, but I've been seeing delays of minutes -> hours (sometimes lots of hours) for messages sent to Yahoo before they show up on the BB. I'm seeing bunches of messages all show up together - the BB timestamps are all the same, but the message times (once I open the message) reflect the time the message really arrived.

I'm curious if this is a Yahoo-only issue or not.....
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Model: 9700
OS: 5...423
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't know what the final verdict on this was because I didn't read the whole thing - I was searching for another answer - but what I did see I can comment on:

if I cc my blackberry.net email address when testing my gmail address (which is now setup as pop instead of forwarding), I get the gmail faster... so if that's not push, i don't care - it's faster than my blackberry.net push

I can also reconcile and all that perfectly fine.. the problem I'm having is getting the sent mail feedback loop everytime I send an email. I don't have auto bcc on, I don't have gmail set to send anything back.. what's the proper setting, please?

thanks

ant
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antb
I don't know what the final verdict on this was because I didn't read the whole thing - I was searching for another answer - but what I did see I can comment on:

if I cc my blackberry.net email address when testing my gmail address (which is now setup as pop instead of forwarding), I get the gmail faster... so if that's not push, i don't care - it's faster than my blackberry.net push

I can also reconcile and all that perfectly fine.. the problem I'm having is getting the sent mail feedback loop everytime I send an email. I don't have auto bcc on, I don't have gmail set to send anything back.. what's the proper setting, please?

thanks

ant
The only way to prevent sent email reaching your BB is to set a filter in the BIS for your gmail account. Create a filter called SentMail, the From rule with your gmail address, and do not forward to your BB.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Model: 9700
OS: 5...423
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
The only way to prevent sent email reaching your BB is to set a filter in the BIS for your gmail account. Create a filter called SentMail, the From rule with your gmail address, and do not forward to your BB.
yah thanks - got the tip from someone before seeing this..works great
Offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
Also, with the new BIS, you cannot reply as the address it was forwarded from, you must reply from the hand held address...Kind of annoying ....Other than that, I absolutely love using google for my hosted email...
Set your BIS "sent from" address as your gmail hosted one. Works fine for me.
Offline  
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo
Set your BIS "sent from" address as your gmail hosted one. Works fine for me.

That option no longer exists...
Offline  
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

yes it does - it's just "reply to" now - changes sent from and reply tp
Offline  
Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #37 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
yes it does - it's just "reply to" now - changes sent from and reply tp

OH MY..How wrong that is...First of all he said "SENT FROM ADDRESS" ...the sent from address and the reply to address are two totally different things. Some people don't want their email to come from @R$#$#.blackberry.net, like me...Again, that functionality is not available...
Offline  
Old 08-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
The only way to prevent sent email reaching your BB is to set a filter in the BIS for your gmail account. Create a filter called SentMail, the From rule with your gmail address, and do not forward to your BB.


I've tried this -- several times -- and it works for a while, then stops working -- now, once again, I receive a copy of EVERY message I send through GMail, whether it orginates on the BB or a PC. No matter what I do I can't get this filter to remain before all other filters with T-Mobile. It shows up on the top of the list when I edit it, but then if I go back in, it's last on the list. Suggestions?
Offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 05:53 AM   #39 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
The only way to prevent sent email reaching your BB is to set a filter in the BIS for your gmail account. Create a filter called SentMail, the From rule with your gmail address, and do not forward to your BB.


I've tried this -- several times -- and it works for a while, then stops working -- now, once again, I receive a copy of EVERY message I send through GMail, whether it orginates on the BB or a PC. No matter what I do I can't get this filter to remain before all other filters with T-Mobile. It shows up on the top of the list when I edit it, but then if I go back in, it's last on the list. Suggestions?
Not sure why T-Mobile does this. I'm on Verizon's BIS and since I set it a month ago its been fine.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have hosted gmail working. First I enabled pop in my hosted account (for all mail received from now) then I entered my username and password in BIS. It fails asking to set it up manually. I select POP/IMAP enter in my address, as [email address] username as [email address] password as password pop.gmail.com as the mail server, and I enable SSL. Realtime push is now working for my gmail hosted domain. I checked, it is pushing the email.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.