BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
doe4040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, UK
Model: 8707v
OS: 4.2.2.186
PIN: 2503A700
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 262
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
please go on...
Yeah please go on
__________________
"All of the things I enjoy are immoral, illegal, or fattening" - Oscar Wilde
"All of the things I enjoy have a Wife Approval Factor (WAF) of 0" - Me
Offline  
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
I don't understand this argument. What "function" will be lost by sticking to a Pearl-shape form? QWERTY keyboard and slightly larger screen are the only things I can think of. If RIM stuffed all the same new features into a Pearl, the "function" would the same.
QWERTY and slightly larger screen are pretty big "things" to many people.
Offline  
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
I think the Bold will only appeal to the base who are used to using the larger sized BB - I personally don't want to move from my Pearl to larger phone. SureType works great and the phone doesn't weight down my suit jacket or blazer.
I work in this industry and I cannot tell you how many people feel this exact same way.
__________________
Who's that peekin' in my window?...POW....nobody now.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The 3G iPhone will dominate this summer! Reason-being: The iPhone will now appeal to business customers.

It will sale more than the BOLD and Xperia for sure.

Last edited by nfl46 : 05-21-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
The 3G iPhone will dominate this summer! Reason-being: The iPhone will now appeal to business customers.

It will sale more than the BOLD and Xperia for sure.
Stating ANY one specific device will dominate this summer has got to be the dummest comment I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share. And the reason being that it will now appeal to business customers because it has 3G... yeah, that makes more sense now
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe4040 View Post
Yeah please go on
It is fairly obvious that iPhone is more then a "fashion accessory".

Obviously it looks nice and has been marketed very well. But to focus solely on that ignores the fact that it has:

the best mobile web browsing anywhere

pretty good synchronization with your PC (calendar, contacts, email, bookmarks, photos, music)

good enough email for a majority of people (15 min timed sync with POP and IMAP, full HTML)

great storage capacity (8 or 16gb)

the best mobile video playback

the ability to buy music OTA from the most popular music store on earth

Support for video rentals via itunes

A decent camera

These are all features people actually use. (see the fact that iPhone users are 50x more likely to use the web browser then any other smartphone users) Just because the iPhone doesnt have the one feature you want, or because you have an irrational dislike of Apple as a company or its users as a group doesnt change the fact that Apple has made a supremely attractive and usable smartphone that is selling as fast as they can make them. This is their first phone (does anyone remember RIM's first phone?) the next version (with exchange support and support for 3rd party applications) is going to be even more successful.

Ignore them if you want, write them off as a fashion accessory. But you wont see their competitors doing that.


To the point of the thread:

Personally this year will see the choice between:

BB 9000 with T-Mobile 3g: I could get rid of my Sprint data card and use tethering. The better battery life and hardware keyboard are attractive as well. I am worried the browser will not measure up to mobile Safari.

iPhone 2.0: I am very happy with the current iPhone, this will be even better. I would miss out on 3g since I use T-Mobile and have to keep paying for my data card. The current battery life is only barely enough for me, hopefully it improves.

Nokia E71 with T-Mobile 3g: hasnt been officially announced. It would be a curve sized device with a great web browser, monster battery and the ability to use BB connect. Might be a good compromise, if it is ever actually released.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
ak2g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8300
PIN: 205ADEEC
Carrier: O2
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland View Post
Maybe on your side of the pond, however, here in the States, people are sadly, very well versed on cell phone technology. People know that 3g is where it's at, although, most of them don't even know what it is, but they know they must have it.
i don't usually post on this forum but I have to say your quote above is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The fact is that the US market is way behind the other "side of the pond" mobile telecommunications-wise. The same fact applies when comparing the european market to the Japanese market. People here in the States are not "well versed" on cell phone technology as you claim: !fact!

The poster is correct in the assumption that the 3g iPhone will sell more in Europe because it's added the significant missing option of 3G and its ease of use will appeal to users over there too. But mostly, the price point will be lower and comparable to similarly well-specced devices there. Note the coming change in Apple's strategy, price and distribution wise.

I, for one, know the Bold will be a huge seller both sides of the pond as Corporates customers upgrade & acquire new licenses. But to get to the next level, RIM will have to get the Bold out in the Curve's form factor (watch this space Q4'08, no more 8x10 with GPS but no wifi etc)

That quote just annoyed me, is all
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

does anyone remember RIM's first phone?

Yeah, it looked like a pager.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
The 3G iPhone will dominate this summer! Reason-being: The iPhone will now appeal to business customers.

It will sale more than the BOLD and Xperia for sure.
There was a news story yesterday about how, even refurbished iPhone's that had been cleaned and memory wiped, people could still access the old users data. If this remains the case, I don't see the iPhone dominating in any business arena. Blackberry is still the clear winner in this case, and if the new 9000 features support for iTunes protected songs, I won't even look at the new iPhone.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlx52 View Post
There was a news story yesterday about how, even refurbished iPhone's that had been cleaned and memory wiped, people could still access the old users data. If this remains the case, I don't see the iPhone dominating in any business arena. Blackberry is still the clear winner in this case, and if the new 9000 features support for iTunes protected songs, I won't even look at the new iPhone.
This fact hasn't stopped Win Mobile from being a popular business platform.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
This fact hasn't stopped Win Mobile from being a popular business platform.
Excellent point, I stand corrected.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Stating ANY one specific device will dominate this summer has got to be the dummest comment I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share. And the reason being that it will now appeal to business customers because it has 3G... yeah, that makes more sense now
We shall see! That cannot be the dumbest comment you have ever see! Don't be surprised if you to big corporations with an iPhone instead of a BOLD. haha!!

Microsoft Exchange is one of the main reasons! I never said the reason being was b/c of 3G!

3G, Microsoft Exchange, GPS and more memory (32GB) on the new 3G iPhone is enough to appeal to business customers.

Please don't take words out of my mouth!

Last edited by nfl46 : 05-21-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
We shall see! That cannot be the dumbest comment you have ever see! Don't be surprised if you to big corporations with an iPhone instead of a BOLD. haha!!

Microsoft Exchange is one of the main reasons! I never said the reason being was b/c of 3G!

3G, Microsoft Exchange, GPS and more memory (32GB) on the new 3G iPhone is enough to appeal to business customers.

Please don't take words out of my mouth!
So how would the IT dept implement and control the iphone 2? what security features does it have to make the device secure from unauthorized access? how would the IT dept do a remote wipe of the device if it was ever lost? how would the IT dept allow/restrict certain features and functions on the iphone according to company policy?

The fact that you're just focusing on the "fun" aspect like merely more memory and GPS clearly shows that you have no experience dealing with corporate customers.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think it will be interesting to see how the overseas vendors sell the iphone now, its rumored that apple has allowed them to charge what they want and offer it subsidized with new contracts and such like they would with other phones. I think thats the wildcard in this, they could sell alot of units in the countries that will have it for sale.

They definitely will have more hype and ads out this summer than any other company. And its all good as the competition brings out the best products from them all.

Outrigger - they have full Exchange on it as of 2.0 software - includes the remote wipe.

"Enterprise features in iPhone 2.0 software beta.
Upcoming iPhone support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and industry-standard corporate security standards will allow IT professionals to seamlessly integrate iPhone into their enterprise environments. New features include:

Push email
Push contacts
Push calendar
Global Address List
Certificates and identities
WPA2/802.1X
Enforced security policies
More VPN protocols
Device configuration
Remote wipe" - from apple.com, currently beta testing with a few fortune 500 companies. TO be a part of 2.0 software.

Countries with iphone either being sold or it's on its way. iPhone world distribution : The Boy Genius Report
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown

Last edited by test54 : 05-21-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
teamcrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT & NYC
Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 526
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

From what I read from people who are beta testing the 3g iphone. There are IT policies and remote wipe for the Iphone 2.0. Now how good it works or usable or comparable the platform is to BES is a toss up unless someone who Beta testxxx8217;s it can shed some light in this thread. Rimm has the advantage because the have had years of experience in this arena. The best comparison I can come up with is when the Japanese first entered the US car making market. You were laughed at if you had a Datsun or Honda accord. Ford and GM dominated and got fat. Now the tables have turned and the Japanese are kicking butt in the US car making industry. If Rimm isnxxx8217;t careful it can happen to them. Competition is great for the consumer and I am looking forward to all the releases. I would love an Iphone 2.0 but refuse to deal with ATT. So itxxx8217;s looking like a Bold for me. I honestly think the Iphone should License the Blackberry connect technology and make it a native app before Rimm puts out a touch screen. Just my thought!
__________________
Email [email address]

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Model: iPhne
PIN: point
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
From what I read from people who are beta testing the 3g iphone. There are IT policies and remote wipe for the Iphone 2.0. Now how good it works or usable or comparable the platform is to BES is a toss up unless someone who Beta testís it can shed some light in this thread. Rimm has the advantage because the have had years of experience in this arena. The best comparison I can come up with is when the Japanese first entered the US car making market. You were laughed at if you had a Datsun or Honda accord. Ford and GM dominated and got fat. Now the tables have turned and the Japanese are kicking butt in the US car making industry. If Rimm isnít careful it can happen to them. Competition is great for the consumer and I am looking forward to all the releases. I would love an Iphone 2.0 but refuse to deal with ATT. So itís looking like a Bold for me. I honestly think the Iphone should License the Blackberry connect technology and make it a native app before Rimm puts out a touch screen. Just my thought!
There are rumors of that very thing possibly happening.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GTA
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)
Posts: 160
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know this is a blackberry website but lets think logically for a second, just because blackberry has dominated the business world doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I dont mean to offend anyone but look at vista.
Its called competition it pushes you and makes you better. Who has competed with BB WinMo, haha, palm who? A worthy competitor has entered the market with a lot of the features that people love on there BB's. saying its just 'fun' or 'fashion' is wrong on so many levels.

Now obviously iPhone wont take over the corporate industry but you cant dismiss it as a worthy phone in that area be cause it combines the best of an iPod touch and a BB and the BOLD is closing that gap as well.
In my humble opinion.
On a side note the iPhone is one model but appeals to so many different markets so not only does it compete with BB phones but media phones like the n95 which is another reason it is such a popular device.

All that still leaves me not knowing which one i want
__________________
Finally Bold.
Follow me: http://twitter.com/davidpaulw
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 317
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
I know this is a blackberry website but lets think logically for a second, just because blackberry has dominated the business world doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I dont mean to offend anyone but look at vista.
Its called competition it pushes you and makes you better. Who has competed with BB WinMo, haha, palm who? A worthy competitor has entered the market with a lot of the features that people love on there BB's. saying its just 'fun' or 'fashion' is wrong on so many levels.

Now obviously iPhone wont take over the corporate industry but you cant dismiss it as a worthy phone in that area be cause it combines the best of an iPod touch and a BB and the BOLD is closing that gap as well.
In my humble opinion.
On a side note the iPhone is one model but appeals to so many different markets so not only does it compete with BB phones but media phones like the n95 which is another reason it is such a popular device.

All that still leaves me not knowing which one i want
I own an iPHone and I can tell you if you need a smartphone for business, it is incredibly deficient. They're going to have to bridge a few productivity gaps in order to touch the BB's package. iPhone doesn't even offer a basic "To Do" application as of yet, so before we suggest that RIM is in trouble in the corporate sector, let's wait and see what iPhone 2.0 looks like.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
plakius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 128
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

iPhone is exactly that .... A PHONE .... anyone who utilizes a blackberry will never downgrade from a powerhouse to a pretty toy ...... I shoot over 3,000 texts a month and who knows how many emails .... touch screen will never do ... and BB messenger ...need i say more ..... Blackberry proves through and through ..... yes iPhone will always dominate the market but at the same time how many dumb people do you meet in a day VS smart ones?..... i meet more jackasses than people who have a clue ..... therefore dumb people dominate the world ....
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GTA
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)
Posts: 160
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Previous two posts depict the difference in markets of the two phones precisely. People will get what they need, and i don't think i need all of that a blackberry offers. Plus the iPhone 2G will be much cheaper!
__________________
Finally Bold.
Follow me: http://twitter.com/davidpaulw
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.