BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #61 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by customshopkv1 View Post
Is there as many Blackberry threads on the iPhone Forums as there is iPhone threads here. I just curious.
thats a good question. So far there is only one Bb forum I visit where there is zero iphone stuff and its becoming my favorite site.

@Rat the forum also says its a BB forum but yet here we are discussing iphones.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #62 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Dawg I do remember you and a bunch of other guys joined iphonesource.com,

why in the world would you join that site?

And I believe we had this discussion in another thread that it is an open forum so people can say what they want, if you want to ban iphone threads then make your case to Guess and the mods.

No one is forcing you to be educated on both, you choose to read the threads and make comments.

Customshop, yes there are iphone forums that discuss BB, people want to know what their choices are.

and my reason for coming to BBF is to learn about the new BB and I enjoy the off topic section, simple as that and their are BB users who go to iphone forums for the same reasons (example is the guys from here who joined iphonesource).
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown

Last edited by test54 : 06-11-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #63 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_Boy View Post
I hear what you are saying Gregg.

But for a lot of people, 10 bucks a month seems like nothing, where as $100 extra at purchase date would be hard to come by.

I am hoping to sell my Curve, which is barely used, to help me get the money for the next phone.

If I go with the iPhone, I could also sell my iPod to help offset the cost.

And I agree with the above, I think you need to be educated, and well, on BOTH devices you are trying to choose from to be able to make a good personal decision.
I have to agree and the $200 price will sell alot of iPhones. These forums are serving their purpose rather well and providing alot of facts and different imput form both sides of the fence.

This is all good and we should all be happy that we have a choice between these two devices. Both Blackberry and iPhone users have more choices than ever!
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Dawg I do remember you and a bunch of other guys joined iphonesource.com,

why in the world would you join that site?

And I believe we had this discussion in another thread that it is an open forum so people can say what they want, if you want to ban iphone threads then make your case to Guess and the mods.

No one is forcing you to be educated on both, you choose to read the threads and make comments.

Customshop, yes there are iphone forums that discuss BB, people want to know what their choices are.
Did I ever mention banning iphone conversations. Dont put words in my mouth. I joined the iphone forum for my daughter who had an iphone before she wised up and went to a BB.

My response about the education was to rat who stated you need to be eductaed about both devices.

If you dont like what I have to say you can ignore me just like you did with dallas. You are quite being quite defensive here.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #65 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Dawg, no need to ban as I enjoy your posts in here.
I'm just telling you where I'm coming from in this, same as your doing.
Open forum = free reign to say what you want.

I saw Guess even have good Apple discussion with JGBerry yesterday, it made for a good thread.
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #66 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Do not be FOOLED by the $200 price. You will be paying an extra $10 a month for the plan plus another $5 to $10 extra for text messaging so add as muich as $480 to the costs for your iPhone2!
I was told there would simply be a slight increase in our data plan and our family plan covers the text messaging. So, only about a $10 increase per month...

Plus, aren't the data plans up from earlier - even with BB Data? I thought our plan will increase in cost once I renew...

Anyways, the iPhone looks more appealing to me right now due simply to price and 3G. However, coming in from having a Pearl and wanting a larger QWERTY full style keyboard, I have been holding off upgrading due to the Bold and iPhone2.

To me, it simply comes down to the keyboard. I like a physical keyboard when typing. I cannot come to grips with the iPod Touch I have and I use it regularly via the WiFi.

The problem is that I can literally get two devices in one product. A 16G iPhone2 may not be as business savy as the BB Bold would be, but I can do everything with the iPhone2. I travel for work a lot, I use my Touch in the car for music, I like the web surfing abilities on iPhone, being able to load full length movies, etc.

However, the BB allows me to email and text much easier and I do a LOT of that. I just don't know if I can ever get accustomed to the iPhone's million steps for email, touch screen, or the fact that I can't cut and paste...

It's a tough call... Lots of Pros and Cons on each side. I guess I can wait until maybe a website can compare the two...
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #67 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GTA
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)
Posts: 160
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customshopkv1 View Post
Is there as many Blackberry threads on the iPhone Forums as there is iPhone threads here. I just curious.
No. at least not as much and not the ones i visit.

As for the thunder being in production for years, give me a break. who would openly bash touchscreen keyboards while they are working on such a device at the same time. he could only be more of a hypocrite if he had the thing in his pocket. every other manufacturer will say the same thing while they are scrambling to make a touch screen device which is basically a style of phone the iphone made itself.
__________________
Finally Bold.
Follow me: http://twitter.com/davidpaulw
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Dawg,

I completely understand where you are coming from.

I am an admin of a football forum for an NFL team.

We constantly get threads about other teams within the division and the entire NFL. We usually move a lot of those threads to an "Around the NFL" forum.

Perhaps these iPhone threads would have a better place in a different board here, like the general discussion boards. If that is the case, the mods here should be moving the threads as they see fit.

But occasional threads about rivals happens on almost any forum.

And as far as the education, like I said, if you are BB do or die, then no, you don't need to learn about both devices.

But I am open minded about my next phone and want to make a good choice for me.

And yes, I should probably go to a iPhone forum to get info on them, but honestly, I have been a die hard BB user for 5 years or so and started on the RIM 950 Text Pager, so I kind of feel "at home" here.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
950 -> 8100 -> 8310
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #69 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Dawg I do remember you and a bunch of other guys joined iphonesource.com,

why in the world would you join that site?

And I believe we had this discussion in another thread that it is an open forum so people can say what they want, if you want to ban iphone threads then make your case to Guess and the mods.

No one is forcing you to be educated on both, you choose to read the threads and make comments.

Customshop, yes there are iphone forums that discuss BB, people want to know what their choices are.

and my reason for coming to BBF is to learn about the new BB and I enjoy the off topic section, simple as that and their are BB users who go to iphone forums for the same reasons (example is the guys from here who joined iphonesource).
I joined for informational reasons. As I am selling iPhones my knowledge of the device is neophyte compared to what I know about the BB.

iPhonesource helped me several times solve a customers problem as well as educated me to. besides it was a sister site to BBF.
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #70 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
greg, its the Thunder that is a result of the iphone.
I think you iPhone people like to flatter yourself to think the iPhone spawned the Thunder! <vbg>
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #71 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard 1 View Post
I was told there would simply be a slight increase in our data plan and our family plan covers the text messaging. So, only about a $10 increase per month...

Plus, aren't the data plans up from earlier - even with BB Data? I thought our plan will increase in cost once I renew...

Anyways, the iPhone looks more appealing to me right now due simply to price and 3G. However, coming in from having a Pearl and wanting a larger QWERTY full style keyboard, I have been holding off upgrading due to the Bold and iPhone2.

To me, it simply comes down to the keyboard. I like a physical keyboard when typing. I cannot come to grips with the iPod Touch I have and I use it regularly via the WiFi.

The problem is that I can literally get two devices in one product. A 16G iPhone2 may not be as business savy as the BB Bold would be, but I can do everything with the iPhone2. I travel for work a lot, I use my Touch in the car for music, I like the web surfing abilities on iPhone, being able to load full length movies, etc.

However, the BB allows me to email and text much easier and I do a LOT of that. I just don't know if I can ever get accustomed to the iPhone's million steps for email, touch screen, or the fact that I can't cut and paste...

It's a tough call... Lots of Pros and Cons on each side. I guess I can wait until maybe a website can compare the two...
It will be a hard choice for many. Both devices have it good and bad points. You got a month to make up your mind so just relax and see what additional info comes out about both devices.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #72 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I think you iPhone people like to flatter yourself to think the iPhone spawned the Thunder! <vbg>
They probably think the iphone was the first touch screen with the mentality that some of them show.

Touch screens have been around for a long time. I can recall when I got my first BB I wanted a touch screen because I was coming from a palm device. After I realized how superior a reel feel keyboard is to me I cant and wont ever go back.

So if you all want to believe that apple iphone is the coming of Christ and the predecessor for all to come be my guest.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #73 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post

So if you all want to believe that apple iphone is the coming of Christ and the predecessor for all to come be my guest.
If you don't see the difference between the Palm devices and iphone then look again. The iphone is practically all touch interface, with just 4/5 buttons. There's your difference.

Greg your probably right that it did not directly bring about the Thunder, more like it forced RIM to move up it development of the device. I would imagine that it would have been a few more years before RIM would have released it.

and the tone has certainly shifted in here, love the "you iphone people" phrase. I think thats where it changed.

EZ, i know you and all the others joined for info., same as why iphone people hang around in here. Oh that and for Lunkhead's informative threads.
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown

Last edited by test54 : 06-11-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
If you don't see the difference between the Palm devices and iphone then look again. The iphone is practically all touch interface, with just 4/5 buttons. There's your difference.
:
Oh come on Test of course there is a difference geez. I never once said that they were the same. I used the touch screen aspect of two devices as an illustration and you have me comparing them.

And I told you why I joined the site I also didnt post anything about BBs in there either

Ok this thread is going no where I am done with it. Thanks for the laughs

Last edited by Dawg : 06-11-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: K/W ON
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

From what I have heard there is no.

1. Password Storage utility.

2. Cut and Paste, this is so basic!

3. MMS support

4. 2MP Camera

5. Video Recording

6. Modem Tethering

7. Expandable Storage

8. Forward Txt Messages

I'll stick with my BB!
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #76 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
teamcrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT & NYC
Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 526
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercat25 View Post
From what I have heard there is no.

1. Password Storage utility.( I think this app is cool but i use Memo pad or Notes on My touch)

2. Cut and Paste, this is so basic! ( I agree someone is having a major brain fart)

3. MMS support ( Again this is a basic feature unless you have a sprint blackbbery)

4. 2MP Camera ( I have a curve and almost never use it. Its one of those things you want but dont use much. We have a digital camera for good picture taking)

5. Video Recording ( Another feature i wanted bad to have and now that i have i dont use it. Unless you plan on making Sex tapes or want to record you kids its not a big deal)

6. Modem Tethering ( I think they are trying to make the phone an extension of your lap top there for not need both)

7. Expandable Storage ( With 8GB and 16GB there is honestly no need. the reason the BB has it is because of the lack of on board storage so unless you dont want your call logs or emails you better have a mem card if you plan on saving anything)

8. Forward Txt Messages (Hmmmmmm another feature that is a no brainer i hope they dont leave this out.)

I'll stick with my BB!
all this being said i want an iphone as a second phone to replace my ipod Touch. the lady of the house is not trying to here it!! lol Maybe ill get an old iphone to vill the void. I like the curve but its a basic tool but gets the job done.
__________________
Email [email address]

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #77 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
They probably think the iphone was the first touch screen with the mentality that some of them show.

Touch screens have been around for a long time. I can recall when I got my first BB I wanted a touch screen because I was coming from a palm device. After I realized how superior a reel feel keyboard is to me I cant and wont ever go back.

So if you all want to believe that apple iphone is the coming of Christ and the predecessor for all to come be my guest.
I remember doing Palm. I think I had every single one of them. I was like you and hesitated about getting a Blackberry until a few days later when I knew the RIM device/input system was far superior. My first RIM was a NExtel 6510! I loved it. When the 7520 came out I thought it was something from Star Trek! The 7520 will always be my favorite for most rugged. I used it for 3 years and it looked like new. Todays painted and shiney Blackberrys do not hold up compared to the old 75XX units!

Last edited by greggebhardt : 06-11-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #78 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
quillhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: somewhat near Seattle
Model: Torch
OS: 6.0.0.xxx
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 347
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
and getting grumpier by the minute with all the iphone threads all over the blackberry forums I visit.
I'm a mod on another cell phone forum that serves a subscriber group for a carrier that will never get the iPhone. This new announcement has caused me some headaches but it can not compare to last year's announcement in January of the device then the launch in June. OMG. I freaking hated the damn phone just because people wouldn't shut up about it. It's lame! It's awesome, I'm switching! You're an idiot! No, you're an idiot! Ad nauseum. Then I bought an iPhone about four months ago. But I'm already starting to hate this new device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
And where is the poor iPhone user surposed to stick the plug in if not around ac? <ouch>
Don't need a wall charger anyway. I have an iPod video and since the iPhone has the same dock connector it's totally handy. I have an iPod charging/connector cable hooked into my head unit in my car as well as an extra USB cable here at the office. I just plug it into the computer and let it charge or plug it into my car and charge it while at lunch if the battery gets low. Extra USB charging/sync cable are cheap and easy to find. Plus I seem to have all kinds of extras floating around for some reason.

All that being said I have no intention of giving up my current iPhone in favor of the new one until I can use it in the same way: unlocked/jailbroken/pop in my SIM with my BB data plan and off I go on the weekends when I want a break from e-mail.

So, my vote is to get the Bold, which I decided as soon as it was hitting the interwebs that at&t would be getting it. I'm hoping I will be able to persuade them to give me an early upgrade.

I'm at a point now where my BB is my weekday device and my iPhone is my weekend device. It's good to have boundaries like that. Affords me some balance. Just my thought.
__________________
With my Bold, I'm just an e-mail away.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #79 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillhill View Post



Don't need a wall charger anyway. I have an iPod video and since the iPhone has the same dock connector it's totally handy. I have an iPod charging/connector cable hooked into my head unit in my car as well as an extra USB cable here at the office. I just plug it into the computer and let it charge or plug it into my car and charge it while at lunch if the battery gets low. Extra USB charging/sync cable are cheap and easy to find. Plus I seem to have all kinds of extras floating around for some reason.
Something you can't do with your BB unless you install software on your computer. Depending on where you work, this may be forbidden.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #80 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I hear you and do not think for a minute I would not like to give the iPhone2 a try! I tried the first generation for a weekend. Just could not give up my RIM device to get my work done.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.