BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

AppleInsider | Average iPhone app usage declines rapidly after first download


i think rim will also face this issue, its a fact, even with a way of getting apps to a device or user, through a means, it does not count as successful.

Last edited by wabbit : 04-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
i take it aesthetics mean way more then functionality.
The iphone is actually has the potential to be more functional then the BB. It only requires the code to make the tweaks. It is basically a mini desktop computer. The BB, on the other hand, is a glorified pager with other features bolted on. It is showing its age and will soon be unable to compete with the likes of the iphone, Android or the Palm Pre. RIM needs a new OS, but it seems they are taking a cue from the Palm of old and are basically sitting on their laurels with small, basically insignificant changes while the other move on with bigger and better. OS 5.0 looks like a joke as far as innovation goes. If that is the best RIM can do, it will be on its way down if a few years and we will be talking about how great RIM was.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PaulMdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK
Posts: 242
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
It is basically a mini desktop computer.
I'd love to know how that is the case.
__________________
http://tinysharepage.com - view your stock portfolio without logging in
http://tinyhomepage.com - icon based favourites web app for mobiles
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
The iphone is actually has the potential to be more functional then the BB. It only requires the code to make the tweaks. It is basically a mini desktop computer. The BB, on the other hand, is a glorified pager with other features bolted on. It is showing its age and will soon be unable to compete with the likes of the iphone, Android or the Palm Pre. RIM needs a new OS, but it seems they are taking a cue from the Palm of old and are basically sitting on their laurels with small, basically insignificant changes while the other move on with bigger and better. OS 5.0 looks like a joke as far as innovation goes. If that is the best RIM can do, it will be on its way down if a few years and we will be talking about how great RIM was.
i did not know my desktop pc is drm locked like an iphone.

also what you are saying does not apply to apple only....... i really do not see a point here. any device can be turned into "a mini pc"

now the only thing i can think of your bb notion is reference to how the phone buttons exists on it unlike the iphone phone icon which can be removed and you have a glorified ipod.

this again bring back aesthetics. that is all apple holds.....
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
i did not know my desktop pc is drm locked like an iphone.

also what you are saying does not apply to apple only....... i really do not see a point here. any device can be turned into "a mini pc"

now the only thing i can think of your bb notion is reference to how the phone buttons exists on it unlike the iphone phone icon which can be removed and you have a glorified ipod.

this again bring back aesthetics. that is all apple holds.....
How is the iphone DRM locked again? Do you even know what that term means? And if you are running Windows, especially Vista, you desktop is DRM laden. And if I have to explain to you why the iphone OS is superior to the BB OS as far as capablitity and flexibility [and I'm saying potential, not actual], then you really are a fan boy.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
I'd love to know how that is the case.
Do some research.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PaulMdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK
Posts: 242
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Do some research.
Or alternatively you can back up your wildly speculative and inaccurate statement. Up to you..
__________________
http://tinysharepage.com - view your stock portfolio without logging in
http://tinyhomepage.com - icon based favourites web app for mobiles
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PaulMdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK
Posts: 242
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
And if you are running Windows, especially Vista, you desktop is DRM laden..
With respect, do you have any technical understanding? It's coming across as if you don't.
__________________
http://tinysharepage.com - view your stock portfolio without logging in
http://tinyhomepage.com - icon based favourites web app for mobiles
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
How is the iphone DRM locked again? Do you even know what that term means? And if you are running Windows, especially Vista, you desktop is DRM laden. And if I have to explain to you why the iphone OS is superior to the BB OS as far as capablitity and flexibility [and I'm saying potential, not actual], then you really are a fan boy.
Quote:
Digital rights management (DRM) refers to access control technologies used by publishers, copyright holders, and hardware manufacturers to limit usage of digital media or devices. In contrast to copy protection, which only attempts to prohibit unauthorized copies of media or files[citation needed], digital rights management enables the publisher to control what can and cannot be done with a single instance. For example, a publisher can limit the number of viewings, the number of copies, and the devices the media can be transferred to. Also an expiration date can be set, e.g. for the purpose of "lending" or "renting out" by a library or a rental shop, without the need of requiring the item to be returned.
definition of drm

take a blackberry i can go put a mp3 on a blackberry, bring it to my other pc, and copy the music down back, you cant with an iphone/itouch.

i think it is living up to drm definition.

oh and yes if i waste hrs upon hrs of looking their probably is a hack, which i could care less. the device is a one way device which means from pc to device not from device to pc.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
With respect, do you have any technical understanding? It's coming across as if you don't.
Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You - Forbes.com

Electronista | Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

Vista's Suicide Bomb: who gets hurt? • The Register

Vista's Built-In DRM

There are numerous others.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
definition of drm

take a blackberry i can go put a mp3 on a blackberry, bring it to my other pc, and copy the music down back, you cant with an iphone/itouch.

i think it is living up to drm definition.

oh and yes if i waste hrs upon hrs of looking their probably is a hack, which i could care less. the device is a one way device which means from pc to device not from device to pc.
That's not DRM, its just the device doesn't work that way. DRM is like how itunes used to work, when you could only play purchased itunes songs on the ipod or iphone. The iphone was not designed to be a portable hard drive, buy a cheap thumb drive if you want that.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
That's not DRM, its just the device doesn't work that way. DRM is like how itunes used to work, when you could only play purchased itunes songs on the ipod or iphone. The iphone was not designed to be a portable hard drive, buy a cheap thumb drive if you want that.
Quote:
Digital rights management (DRM) refers to access control technologies used by publishers, copyright holders, and hardware manufacturers to limit usage of digital media or devices
read that again

i can take a mp3, any mp3 or music file, put it on my touch, and move pc's it cant be moved to a different pc.

you own a pair of iblinders?
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

because a mac does not have drm

iTunes Store HD Movies Donxxx8217;t Play on My Monitor: Solutions | iLounge Article

edit go read the article, unfortunately drm is not only in os but in hardware, as in hdmi, dvi, and other connections. regardless of os.

Last edited by wabbit : 04-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #54 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
because a mac does not have drm

iTunes Store HD Movies Dont Play on My Monitor: Solutions | iLounge Article

edit go read the article, unfortunately drm is not only in os but in hardware, as in hdmi, dvi, and other connections. regardless of os.
Didn't say that it didn't, I was responding to your post that said Vista wasn't loaded with DRM. It does.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #55 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Didn't say that it didn't, I was responding to your post that said Vista wasn't loaded with DRM. It does.
never said vista didn't have drm.

edit: the only thing i said about vista is that it is stable.

Last edited by wabbit : 04-09-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #56 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
i can take a mp3, any mp3 or music file, put it on my touch, and move pc's it cant be moved to a different pc.
Why is that? Do you actually own any Apple products at all?

I can take any generic MP3 or AAC file, sync it with iTunes to my iPod and it works. Those same files will still be opened and played by WinAmp, Windows Media Player and other generic MP3 players.

iTunes specific files can be played on any iPod as long as you own it. it will also play on your PC via iTunes or Quicktime, so long as you own that PC. You simply authorize the PC when iTunes request the authorization. Up to five PCs are allowed.

Starting April 7, iTunes have changed their policy to sell only DRM free music. DRM music can be upgraded to non DRM but depending on the music company, some songs may require an additional charge.

I have a program called Air Search that turns my iPod into a generic wireless Wifi network drive. If I upload songs into it from my PC and store it in the PC file structure, any MP3 songs will be played by the iPod Touch. When I move the files to another PC, they are unaltered and remain generic, still playable with any other player.

Last edited by Drillbit : 04-09-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
Why is that? Do you actually own any Apple products at all?

I can take any generic MP3 or AAC file, sync it with iTunes to my iPod and it works. Those same files will still be opened and played by WinAmp, Windows Media Player and other generic MP3 players.

iTunes specific files can be played on any iPod as long as you own it. it will also play on your PC via iTunes or Quicktime, so long as you own that PC. You simply authorize the PC when iTunes request the authorization. Up to five PCs are allowed.

Starting April 7, iTunes have changed their policy to sell only DRM free music. DRM music can be upgraded to non DRM but depending on the music company, some songs may require an additional charge.

I have a program called Air Search that turns my iPod into a generic wireless Wifi network drive. If I upload songs into it from my PC and store it in the PC file structure, any MP3 songs will be played by the iPod Touch. When I move the files to another PC, they are unaltered and remain generic, still playable with any other player.
i have a 2nd gen touch.

this is what i am getting at, go sync an ipod touch to a device, i used my xp notebook, it syncs that notebook can add / remove etc. but that notebook 4 year old drive took a perm vacation.

so i got a new hdd, restored the system, i figured the music which wasn't from itunes but my own creations i can get of the touch back to the pc, good luck with this. it wont allow this.

i'm not really talking about drm music. but more in the drm on the device.

edit: this is how the device itself is drm'ed not the mp3's or content you put on the device.
now dont get me wrong drm is not the best security and their are ways around this its just a big pain the rear. in which under normal usage it allows to not to device from device. like other devices.

Last edited by wabbit : 04-09-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #58 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
The iphone is actually has the potential to be more functional then the BB. It only requires the code to make the tweaks. It is basically a mini desktop computer. The BB, on the other hand, is a glorified pager with other features bolted on. It is showing its age and will soon be unable to compete with the likes of the iphone, Android or the Palm Pre. RIM needs a new OS, but it seems they are taking a cue from the Palm of old and are basically sitting on their laurels with small, basically insignificant changes while the other move on with bigger and better. OS 5.0 looks like a joke as far as innovation goes. If that is the best RIM can do, it will be on its way down if a few years and we will be talking about how great RIM was.
The way people feel operating systems are, they look at the interface. Having gone through a number of OS advocacy wars, operating systems can be very different underneath.

In terms of age, one might actually find this surprising. Android and webOS are all based on Linux, which has its roots on Unix, an operating system developed in the seventies intended for minicomputers. Yes, that Linux and Unix whose descendants now dominate the server world. Linux has been around for a long time, its power, like Unix is that its vastly scalable. It will run from your Motorola ROKR E8 to a top end supercomputer cluster. Have you heard of that project where hundreds of PS3 are joined into a distributing network to form a virtual supercomputer? That's right, its based on Linux.

iPhone OS is based on MacOS X. Which in turn goes back to the NeXTOS, which features a microkernel architecture and an object oriented system.

Symbian is based on the PSION OS. The PSION is probably the first PDA in the world, having hit the market

Windows Mobile is based on Windows CE.

Palm OS has its roots with Apple's Newton OS. The original founders of Palm were from the Newton Message Pad project.

Blackberry is Blackberry.

Based on chronology, you will find that all these OSes were invented right about the same time. Linux probably the first of the bunch.

The difference is the roots. Both Linux and all its variants, and MacOS X all started from Unix inspirations and are used in servers and workstations. These are mainframe grade OSes being scaled downwards to small devices. Windows CE, Symbian/Psion, Palm, and Blackberry all started as operating systems for small devices.

As devices becomes more and more powerful, it is gradually playing into the hands of the scalar OSes.

This is not the place to teach operating system design fundamentals and I will leave it at that.

I don't know anything and I don't think there is anyone out there who knows fundamentally how the Blackberry operating system works due to the lack of information. In a way, its a proprietary operating system, not much different from Nokia's non Symbian phones, or the operating systems used by LG and Samsung on their non-Smartphones. I hesitate to call these 'dumb' phones because the only real difference between the operating system of a 'dumbphone' and a 'smartphone' is that you got SDKs released in public for third party programmers to produce applications for it.

I don't know and I don't think anyone knows how the Blackberry OS is underneath. Does it has preemptive multitasking and multithreading? Does it have protective memory spaces? Does it kernel protection? Does it have access rings? Do device drivers run in kernel mode? Does it have a microkernel or monolithic kernel architecture? How are APIs layered? Does anyone have a chart?

Given this, I presume there is actually plenty of room for the Blackberry OS to evolve. Linux started out as a mere text driven interface you know, like user>. The power of Linux is that so much man hours have been devoted to it from all the open foundations.

And if the Blackberry OS doesn't have what it takes to scale, I see it possible that RIM can move over the entire OS 4 or OS 5 interface on top of a Linux foundation.

Nonetheless yes, it is correct, RIM should spend more time cleaning up its OS. Palm could have done that too, there is no technical reason why the Palm OS can have a much more modern looking user interface. But Palm decided to milk existing technologies and waste resources trying to integrate Windows Mobile into their Treos.

Last edited by Drillbit : 04-09-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
i have a 2nd gen touch.

this is what i am getting at, go sync an ipod touch to a device, i used my xp notebook, it syncs that notebook can add / remove etc. but that notebook 4 year old drive took a perm vacation.

so i got a new hdd, restored the system, i figured the music which wasn't from itunes but my own creations i can get of the touch back to the pc, good luck with this. it wont allow this.
That has nothing to do with DRM. That has something to do that the iPod or any MP3 device has to be synchronized with only one playlist.

That's all a matter of disciplinary file management.

Unless you use Air Search, the iPod Touch does not act like a flash drive, like Windows Mobile phones can when they're hooked to a PC.


Quote:
i'm not really talking about drm music. but more in the drm on the device.

edit: this is how the device itself is drm'ed not the mp3's or content you put on the device.
now dont get me wrong drm is not the best security and their are ways around this its just a big pain the rear. in which under normal usage it allows to not to device from device. like other devices.
There are already ways to remove DRM from Apple MP4 files but I won't talk about it here.

In any case, what you're describing above is not DRM but playlist management.
Offline  
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #60 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
In any case, what you're describing above is not DRM but playlist management.
i guess, but considering that only way or offered way, to me since i use a pc not a mac, it seems like its drm'ed i can add to the device not from the device through itunes.

dont get me wrong their are probably apps, 3rd party and even hacks to go around this, but its tedious and anonying. sorta how it is to remove drm's off mp4's

the simple fix i guess or my idea would not make the device so crappy that its a to a device and allow both way xfers but then again how it is suppose to work, fits under drm definition.

dont get me wrong its a device, which to me does what it does, i just find it odd that through the median(itunes) its a one way street. but then again it could be just apple. over all it fits drm device. by using the official hardware/software for the device.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.