BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Giving Up My Blackberry For...

Please Login to Remove!

I have been a Blackberry user for several years -- most recently, have gone from 8320 to the Bold. It does what I want it to do (email), but I miss other things I could elegantly do on it -- the web, photos, etc. I admire the iPhone a lot -- although the fact that it's email functions were pretty crappy (until now) put me off (keyboard was fine though) and now the new Palm Pre...I called my enterprise company and they said they think the Pre is fantastic and the best of both worlds. I am out of the country now, so I haven't seen it at all. But am wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Plus, my big concern: the keyboard. I'm "spoiled" by the Blackberry's keyboard. Will I be able to adjust??? Thanks for any feedback.
Offline  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I, too, have looked at the Pre. My co-worker just switched to it after having an iPhone for 2 years and he loves it. The actual keyboard was one reason he changed, along with poor AT&T service where we work.

I'd have to find out if there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts (or any, for that matter) with the Pre before I'd switch. I use a LOT of them on the BlackBerry (T for top, B for bottom, space bar for page down, R for Reply, etc, etc). If the Pre doesn't have those then I don't want it.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I would guess that at least currently, the Pre doesn't really take advantage of shortcut keys. Just a guess, though, and I would love to be wrong. I do think that as long as Palm is around (which is still uncertain this early in the game), the OS will receive regular updates to take care of missing/broken features. Palm needs this to work or they are gone.

Of course, bear in mind the current rash of issues being reported (screens shattering in peoples pockets, unresponsive gesture areas, splitting cases, detaching sliders, stuck keys, stuck pixels, warped screen colors, overheating...) and that Palm doesn't need these issues right now. Sure, someone will say that theirs doesn't have any of those issues, or that BB/iPhone/Android has the same issues, but what matters here is that these other companies aren't teetering on failure.

Just some things to consider.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline : 06-16-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hotburnttoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hell Passhole
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.442
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 524
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had the chance to test drive the Pre. I didnt like it one bit, the housing is a finger print magnet, I HATED the keyboard, and overall I felt device was slowwwww. The GUI was nice though. I wouldnt trade a BB for a PRE
__________________
Would it be considered sexual harassment if a midget walked up to you and said that your hair smells good?
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Tragic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Model: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just try it out... anything any of these guys say is crap until you try it out first hand. EVERY phone has had their share of issues, smart phones (especially the PRE) are under intense scrutiny & everyone has something to say. Its a matter of personal preference. Besides, Sprint (The only carrier of the PRE) has a 30 day return policy and the PRE has a 1 year manufacturer warranty that Sprint honors.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
anything any of these guys say is crap
Wow, that's a little strong, don't you think? The OP asked for our OPINION, not to prove the theory of relativity.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,769
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 439 Times in 379 Posts
Default

I guess Tragic only asks for feedback from people who share his or her exact point of view.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Tragic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Model: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is definately the wrong forum to ask about an non-blackbery phone. None of the replies will be from PRE owners that use and get the full experience... just from blackberry owners, many in which loath at the fact of using a different phone. You're just gonna get the bad, rants and raves... all of which have been from stuff they read on the web, not by using it. You can call it an opinion... I call it crap. I don't think giving an opinion on a phone you don't use is relevant at all.

NJBlackberry - I didn't give my point of view or my opinion of the phone... I said "TRY IT YOURSELF." Thats the most useful tool for choosing a phone IMO
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,769
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 439 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Well, enjoy your stay here.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
... anything any of these guys say is crap until you try it out first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
You can call it an opinion... I call it crap. I don't think giving an opinion on a phone you don't use is relevant at all.
And calling users' opinions here of which you know nothing about, is crap?

Sorry, your opinion of us is, then, crap.
Since you know nothing of us or those who post their opinion.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Tragic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Model: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Whoa, you're looking way too far into it. I use to forum for info on... blackberry's. I ask for info on... blackberry's. I ask for help on how to fix... blackberry's. You're opinion isn't crap... but if you don't use the phone, have researched all the issues on whats wrong with the phone, don't plan on every giving the phone a shot, and use a blackberry... I think you're opinioni on a phone your don't even use is crap. I know its harsh so I'll rephrase and say "unuseful."

Ok, this thread has officially been hijacked... if you have something to say to me my inbox is empty. This isn't helping the original poster at all.

Last edited by Tragic : 08-31-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,069
Post Thanks: 138
Thanked 139 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
None of the replies will be from PRE owners that use and get the full experience... just from blackberry owners, many in which loath at the fact of using a different phone.
And you are incorrect. I've used the Pre for about a week and my first thoughts were I liked it. But the battery life is horrible and the keyboard is too small for my liking. That is MY opinion/preference.

I posted about that a while ago here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/hand...ml#post1425312

Just because you like the Pre doesn't mean everyone (including the OP) will. Why is it that you opinion of the Pre is not crap, but everyone else's opinion on the same device is crap?
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,769
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 439 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Obviously your opinion is crap.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Notice what I said earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Sure, someone will say that theirs doesn't have any of those issues, or that BB/iPhone/Android has the same issues, but what matters here is that these other companies aren't teetering on failure.
And notice what Tragic said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
Just try it out... anything any of these guys say is crap until you try it out first hand. EVERY phone has had their share of issues, smart phones (especially the PRE) are under intense scrutiny & everyone has something to say.
See... I told you someone would make excuses.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Now, to address this ass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
Just try it out... anything any of these guys say is crap until you try it out first hand.
You have no idea who here has already used a Pre and still hated it, do you? Nope, you don't, but that won't stop you from spewing crap, now will it? Nah... didn't think so.

Quote:
EVERY phone has had their share of issues, smart phones (especially the PRE) are under intense scrutiny & everyone has something to say. Its a matter of personal preference. Besides, Sprint (The only carrier of the PRE) has a 30 day return policy and the PRE has a 1 year manufacturer warranty that Sprint honors.
As I said earlier, someone was bound to excuse the phone, despite that Palm doesn't need issues right now, by making the argument that other phones have problems too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
This is definately the wrong forum to ask about an non-blackbery phone. None of the replies will be from PRE owners that use and get the full experience... just from blackberry owners, many in which loath at the fact of using a different phone.
Really? So you know everyone here? Every single stinkin' person? You are either amazingly popular (doubt it), or a complete ass. I'm going to go ahead and assume the latter since I doubt you could convince me otherwise.

Quote:
You're just gonna get the bad, rants and raves... all of which have been from stuff they read on the web, not by using it.
And the proof of this is what? How do you know that people here haven't used the Pre? Do you realize that there are people here that don't use BlackBerry devices? Nah... didn't think you knew that, or you would realize just how incredibly stupid your comments make you look.

Quote:
You can call it an opinion... I call it crap. I don't think giving an opinion on a phone you don't use is relevant at all.

NJBlackberry - I didn't give my point of view or my opinion of the phone... I said "TRY IT YOURSELF." Thats the most useful tool for choosing a phone IMO
You're right. My bad. Funny, though, that while you say you didn't give your opinion of the phone, you did give your opinion of those of us that gave our opinion. And since you say that giving an opinion on something you know nothing about is not actually an opinion but is, in fact, crap, then that must mean that since you don't know me (or likely the others in this thread), then your opinion is, in fact, crap.

You really have your head screwed on wrong.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Just when I thought today was going to be boring
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Tragic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Model: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
You're right. My bad. Funny, though, that while you say you didn't give your opinion of the phone, you did give your opinion of those of us that gave our opinion. And since you say that giving an opinion on something you know nothing about is not actually an opinion but is, in fact, crap, then that must mean that since you don't know me (or likely the others in this thread), then your opinion is, in fact, crap.

You really have your head screwed on wrong.

And you don't know me... so you're opinion of me is crap? Is that right or did I miss something? Who has their head screwed on wrong? I guess I'm important enough for you to analyze every single sentence that I posted.

But whatever, If you look passed that one sentence you might actually see my point. I guess everyone can post an opinion... but me. I understand now.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Tragic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Model: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Just when I thought today was going to be boring
I know, I'm making some popcorn right now HAHAHA. There's nothing like internet drama.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,769
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 439 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
I understand now.
Highly, highly unlikely.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
...There's nothing like internet drama.
Especially when it appears to be self-induced.

I think I've learned the true meaning of thread crapper

Last edited by John Clark : 08-31-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.