BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rodgers
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default screen sharpness on 9700 vs Iphone 3GS

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 9700 and love it but am really tempted to go to the 3GS just for the screen size alone. I went and put the same web page on both machines at a store today and it looked like the 9700 had a much crisper and sharper resolution around the fonts than the Iphone. I thought it was just me but so I surveyed the sales agents and they agreed.

What am I missing? I was under the impression that the screen on the 3GS was really clear...which it was when looking at videos versus the 9700 but text seemed to not be that great.

Any help for this newbe. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw100 View Post
I have a 9700 and love it but am really tempted to go to the 3GS just for the screen size alone. I went and put the same web page on both machines at a store today and it looked like the 9700 had a much crisper and sharper resolution around the fonts than the Iphone. I thought it was just me but so I surveyed the sales agents and they agreed.

What am I missing? I was under the impression that the screen on the 3GS was really clear...which it was when looking at videos versus the 9700 but text seemed to not be that great.

Any help for this newbe. Thanks.
You're not missing anything, the 9700 has a higher resolution then the iphone.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airport lounges and starbuxxx
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.296
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Posts: 573
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

It doesn't. The GS is 3.5 inches 320x480 and 18bit color and the 9700 is 2.44 inches 65K(yes that's K) colors.
If you go half vga on smaller screen estate it makes sense you get the perception of a sharper image. The analysis is the same, actually overall the bb is inferior on spec.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rodgers
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Wirelessly posted

It doesn't. The GS is 3.5 inches 320x480 and 18bit color and the 9700 is 2.44 inches 65K(yes that's K) colors.
If you go half vga on smaller screen estate it makes sense you get the perception of a sharper image. The analysis is the same, actually overall the bb is inferior on spec.
Yes, I thought the specs indicated that which is why I was so confused by the optics when I had both machines side by side.

Probably why youtube and movies are impossible to watch on the BB but beautiful on the iPhone.
Offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The 9700 has the same screen resolution as the Storm, which in turn has higher resolution than the iPhone. Lots of tiny pixels are cramped into a small screen produces some very sharp results.
__________________
I am @guamguy at Twitter.
Offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rodgers
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does Bolt or Opera help speed up streaming media or it just a limitation of the phone itself?
Offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Streaming media is entirely both the quality and type of connection you have, the state of Internet "weather" and how well the server on the other end delivers.
__________________
I am @guamguy at Twitter.
Offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rodgers
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
Streaming media is entirely both the quality and type of connection you have, the state of Internet "weather" and how well the server on the other end delivers.
So it isn't browser dependent i.e. Bolt or Opera isn't going to help matters?
Offline  
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
wibbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 857
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Wirelessly posted
The GS is 3.5 inches 320x480 and 18bit color and the 9700 is 2.44 inches 65K(yes that's K) colors.
Coulourt depth and size may be smaller, but resolution of the 9700 is 480x360, so better than the GS.
Offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rodgers
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes the BB seems much sharper - just so small when compared to the iphone.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.