BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   BlackBerryFAQ Article Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberryfaq-article-discussion/)
-   -   Level 1 PIN Messages...what are they? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberryfaq-article-discussion/145054-level-1-pin-messages-what-they.html)

mxcnvida 08-13-2008 02:05 PM

Level 1 PIN Messages...what are they?
 
What is meant by Level 1 PIN messages? Aren't PIN messages another form of SMS? Are there higher levels of PIN messages (and if so, what is the use for them?).

New at this BB thing, so any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

ezrunner 08-13-2008 02:19 PM

PIN messages are specific for BB to BB message it is a high priority message and virtually instant and very secure. Blackberry messenger is kind of a chat version of a PIN message

mxcnvida 08-13-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner (Post 1058481)
PIN messages are specific for BB to BB message it is a high priority message and virtually instant and very secure. Blackberry messenger is kind of a chat version of a PIN message

Thanks for the prompt reply...now I'm a little "smarter" 8-)

Lennyj17 08-14-2008 01:57 PM

I should also add that pin messages are better then sms in the fact they can be as long as you want them to be. No Character limit.

dankarlinski 08-15-2008 10:35 AM

true. they are basically a text message over the data (so it will always be instant) with no limit

richard205 08-21-2008 12:03 PM

Are they secure?

I was under the impression that the data was unencrpyted?

richard205 08-21-2008 12:10 PM

Are they secure?

I was under the impression that the data was unencrpyted?
Hence why I've not enabled it for my users.

I've prepared documentation for the users but need to research this function further.

scottdrmyers 08-24-2008 06:58 PM

PIN to PIN is unencrypted. Unless you set it up on your BES where the users use a private key, only the users that have that key can decode the message. You can also (with an IT Policy) restrict PIN to PIN messages within your company. IE: Outside users cannot message the internal users and vice versa.

obentou 11-26-2008 03:41 PM

Interesting to hear. Too bad barely anyone I know has a Blackberry.

HarlyFan 11-29-2008 11:33 PM

Where do I find my Pin # on a 8830 and a Storm?

soupandsandwich 11-30-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottdrmyers (Post 1073446)
PIN to PIN is unencrypted. Unless you set it up on your BES where the users use a private key, only the users that have that key can decode the message. You can also (with an IT Policy) restrict PIN to PIN messages within your company. IE: Outside users cannot message the internal users and vice versa.

This is not entirely true.
Enabling a Peer-to-Peer Encryption key on BES merely adds another layer of security which will only allow your BES users to send/recieve PIN messages between only the users on your BES.

If you don't have a Peer-to-Peer Encryption key set on your BES, the PIN messages are still scrambled when sending between any two BlackBerry handhelds.
Any data that travels over the RIM infrastructure from start to end is encrypted.

Even PIN messages sent between two non-BES handhelds are scrambled for security purposes.

wjereb 11-30-2008 07:30 AM

On a Curve its Options->Status or ALT-Shift - H

soupandsandwich 11-30-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard205 (Post 1069258)
Are they secure?

I was under the impression that the data was unencrpyted?
Hence why I've not enabled it for my users.

I've prepared documentation for the users but need to research this function further.

Yes, they are secure. PIN messages only travel on the RIM network and are scrambled from end to end.

soupandsandwich 11-30-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarlyFan (Post 1189238)
Where do I find my Pin # on a 8830 and a Storm?

Options > Status

littlebigplanet 12-21-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupandsandwich (Post 1189433)
Yes, they are secure. PIN messages only travel on the RIM network and are scrambled from end to end.

So if I'm sending a PIN to another employee at my company ABOUT my IT Admin, does he have the ability to read my message? I thought not before I started reading these forums, but now I'm not so sure. Was under the impression that they were secure from internal eyes. Some forum messages say yes they are secure, others say IT Admins can see them. Anyone have the definitive answer???

Thx

dyrianq 12-21-2008 06:14 PM

thanks for the explanation, soupandsandwich! The claim that blackberry communications like PIN to PIN travel unencrypted in the air seemed a little strange and I am glad that you clarified things.

soupandsandwich 12-22-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebigplanet (Post 1218239)
So if I'm sending a PIN to another employee at my company ABOUT my IT Admin, does he have the ability to read my message? I thought not before I started reading these forums, but now I'm not so sure. Was under the impression that they were secure from internal eyes. Some forum messages say yes they are secure, others say IT Admins can see them. Anyone have the definitive answer???

Thx

Yes, your BES admin can read them if they wanted to.
BES would need to be properly set up for logging of PIN messages.

Security and Auditing are two different things. Because your BES admin can log PIN messages, that doesn't mean they aren't secure.
The security portion refers to the fact that the messages are encrypted as they travel wirelessly outside of your network, and can't be intercepted by a third-party.

trailertaskforce 02-05-2009 04:06 PM

Thqank you all
 
This site beats the PANTS off the "other" one for sure. Thanks for the great info and unpunished help.. Bobby







Political correctness is tyranny with manners
..`
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called organized RELIGION
..`

PIN 3057EA48 anytime~

Spint 02-07-2009 09:45 AM

Got a question... whats security like for PINs for users not using BES? Thanks!

buluks 02-26-2009 07:46 PM

i thinks is same.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.